HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Shotshell reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/294277-shotshell-reloading.html)

cjohnson3006 05-17-2009 04:15 PM

Shotshell reloading

I have been toying with the idea ofreloading shotshells. I can't seem to find any powder to reload mymetallic cartridges, however there are always powders to reload shotshells at all places I shop. I have never reloaded shotshells, so I would like some advice on what to get. I've been looking at the Lee Load-All 2 in 12ga.and getting the wad starter, the primer feeder and the conversion kit to 20ga. I know I need shot, wads, powder, primers and hulls. What else do I need? The kit comes with both powder and shot bushings, but not sure what I need versus what I get. I like to shoot anywhere from 1 1/8-1 1/4 oz. in my 12's and 7/8-1 oz for my wife's 20. I shoot trap and will load for that as well as for quail and pheasants. Do all used shotshell hullswork well to load or are theresome better than others? I know there are better loaders than the Lee, but for $40, it seems hard to beat to load only a few hundred rounds per month. Thanks in advance for all advice. Chris

halcon 05-17-2009 09:16 PM

RE: Shotshell reloading

Get a Lyman manual on shotgun reloading and read how to reload before you buy a loader would be my advise . Yes some hulls are better to reload than others .

Bernie P. 05-18-2009 06:45 AM

+1 on the Lyman manual.After you have it you'll see what you need as far as primers/brands and wads to get.As far as hulls go either Rem STS or Win AA are good.For powders the manual again will give you good idea's for your loads.I favor Longshot and 800X for heavier hunting loads and American Select or 700X for lighter loads.Be sure to check the charge/lead weights dropped as that varies from powder to powder and shot size.Good luck!

bakabob 05-18-2009 11:52 AM

First off let me say that I am on old man (77) that has been loading shotshells since the 1950's and have loaded many thousands of rounds. Next let me say that the Lee Load All is a fine little loader contrary to what many say about it. It has everything you need for loading except a powder scale which must be used with all loaders.I have three Load Alls (you need one for each gauge as there are no conversion kits) as well as 4 Mec loaders. I keep each loader set up for a specific load which keeps me from having to change bushings and adjusting machines. I would recomend checking with your provider to see what kind of powder he has that can be used for both 12 and 20 ga loads. He should also have reloading guides from the manufacturers. I also agree that the Lyman manual would be a good idea. I also agree thatsome hulls load better than others and availablity is a big thing there. Most hulls can be reloaded however they all load different and some will take different wads than others. The internal space of hulls vary greatly. If at all possible I would try to find someone with reloading experiance to help you get started. Loading for shotshells is a lot different than loading metalic cartridges.

cjohnson3006 05-18-2009 04:05 PM

How do you know when you have too much pressure with a shotgun shell? I have many scales that I use for my metallic reloading, so thats not an issue. I will probably use Blue Dot or Unique as its readily available here. How do you pick the wads? I'd like something with some extra range with trap shooting, yet still needs to have a good pattern for the crossing shots. There are just as many choices for wads as what there are for bullets with my .243 and 30 cals. CJ

spaniel 05-18-2009 05:32 PM

ORIGINAL: cjohnson3006

How do you know when you have too much pressure with a shotgun shell? I have many scales that I use for my metallic reloading, so thats not an issue. I will probably use Blue Dot or Unique as its readily available here. How do you pick the wads? I'd like something with some extra range with trap shooting, yet still needs to have a good pattern for the crossing shots. There are just as many choices for wads as what there are for bullets with my .243 and 30 cals. CJ
Unlike metallic reloading, you don't really have pressure signs. Find a book load that does what you want, and most manuals will list a pressure reading for it. DO NOT switch ANY components of the load, as switching out the primer or wad can have a big effect on the pressure.

Blue Dot is a decent powder, however it's better suited for heavier game loads than for 1-1/8oz trap loads. I use Red Dot for trap, and Blue Dot or Longshot for heavy game loads. I have a progressive MEC and love it, I don't want to use up space with multiple loaders so the 2-3 setup switches per year does not bother me. Typically I save up my hulls, and then that fast progressive lets me load up a ton of boxes in just a couple nights over the winter.

bakabob 05-18-2009 06:27 PM

With shotshells you stick with the manuals. There are no warning signs of over pressure. You don't experiment and never assume anything. The powders you mention are good powders however the Blue Dot is for heavy loads so for target shooting it's out. I use it for my sabot slugs and it is a great powder for that. I will say though that it is a very dirty powder with my slugs. The Unique is a good all around powder that can be used in the 12, 20 and 28 ga loads. I use it often for my 20 and 28 ga loads. Lately I have been using Red Dot for my 12 ga target loads. I load 1 ounce loads and it is a good powder for that and it is available here. There are many good powders for shotshells and most have their favorite which often depends on availability. The wads you need will depend on the hulls you load and the amount of shot you put in them. The data in the manuals will tell you which to use with which loads.

Bernie P. 05-19-2009 05:14 AM

Unfortunately the to much pressure sign with shotguns is when they blow apart in your face:D.NEVER experiment/vary components not listed in the manuals.Any substitution can be disastrous.