Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Manuals

Old 05-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default Manuals

Is there a particular manual you would recommend as a first manual or best manual? I'm loading 38 special, 357 mag and 40 s&w.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Manuals

I hear most folks say the Lyman is best but I haven't seen that one myself.Lee is a good one.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Nolehoe

Is there a particular manual you would recommend as a first manual or best manual? I'm loading 38 special, 357 mag and 40 s&w.

Lyman. Definitely. It isn't produced by a particular bullet manufacturer or powder supplier, which generally only list info for their individual brands. The Lyman manual is very complete with it's reloading process section, and uses various bullet and powder companies for their loading specs sections.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a whole library of them from way back and add to it every chance I get. With that said if I were to start all over and just wanted load data and not the "how tos" I would go get every free online loading manual I could find.
Accurate ARms
Alliant
Hodgdon
Ramshot
Nosler
and others offer some ...free of charge.

Next I would be caliber/chambering specific and call Sierra and talk to their techs. They will send you free of charge data that is reproductions of their loading manual. Granted it is for their bullets but hey...the price is right and the data safe.

I have all this stuff and still get more.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

My only manual is the one that came with the reloading kit. And I've consulted it from time to time, no only for reloading information, but exactly how to set up the various dies. Same co. manual; same co. dies;

As for other information, I've used the internet sites for the powder companies, whose powder I used. Formerly used the brochures available at gun stores. If company y says to use their powder for a particular caliber and bullet weight, I don't try to reinvent the wheel and come up with my own independent study. I start with the minimum and work up towards the max.

It's not rocket science. For those reloading rifles, I'd find out the COL - the cartridge overall length. That I find important with accuracy besides powder loads.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:55 PM
Fork Horn

all good info. Sounds like the Lyman is a favored manual, should go well with my Lyman press. I've been using the documentation that came with my press, dies and powder measure and getting load info from the Hodgdon site as I've been loading with Titegroup. But I would like to have a nice manual so I think I'll pick up a Lyman manual.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree if I only had one manual, it would be the Lyman in the # 46-on up version..........
Old 05-19-2009, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lyman's 48th. It is better than the newest (49th) because the 49th has excluded some of the loads the 48th has.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer the Lyman # 47, it doesn't give the potentially most accurate load info but it does give factory duplication load data. That being said I buy the manuals for most of the bullet manufacturers. I currently have Nosler's 6'th, Lyman's 47'th and 48'th, Sierra's 5'th, Hornady's 5'th and Speer's 13'th. I also download the powder manufacturers data also.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are a number of good manuals. The reason I like the Lyman is that they don't have any powder or buillets to sell, so they give even treatment to many different component sets.

For your use, the Lyman would be good because of their treatmwent of cast bullets, which work very well in handgun ammo.

Quick Reply: Manuals

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.