HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/292688-reloading.html)

oldreloader 04-24-2009 03:45 PM

Reloading

I haven't reloaded since the early 80's.All I have left of my equipment is a case length guage. Due to present circumstances I'm going to get some reloading equipment and start reloading again.(plus I enjoyed doing it). My reloading will be for a 30-06 for deer hunting and a 12 GA for waterfowl. I'm looking at th Lee Challenger Anniversary kit for the rifle and either the Lee Load All II or the RCBS Mini-Grand for the shotgun. Any advise for a rookie veteran?

Bernie P. 04-25-2009 05:40 AM

RE: Reloading

I just got into reloading myself.After considerable research I went with Lee products all the way except for the scale.I already had an RCBS 505 I bought many years back when I started loading shotgun shells.I don't think you can go wrong with Lee but like I said I don't have much experience to back that up with.The vast majority of the reviews I read were very positive.There were a few bad reviews but that holds true for all the other brands as well.The only exception was the Forster single stage press which costs more than I wanted to spend.All rave reviews for that one.Good luck!

eldeguello 04-25-2009 07:02 AM

Lee equipment is functional and will produce accurate ammo. Alot of Lee equipment is made from aluminum, and must be cared for accordingly.

halcon 04-25-2009 09:22 AM

Personally I would spend the money for a Mec 600 before I would go with the Lee load all . I have owned both and there is just no comparison between the two .

4patches 05-02-2009 02:29 PM

check ebay, there usally is a ton of vintage reloading equipment there.

Pawildman 05-02-2009 03:05 PM

ORIGINAL: halcon

Personally I would spend the money for a Mec 600 before I would go with the Lee load all . I have owned both and there is just no comparison between the two .

............Another vote for the Mec 600. It's an excellent press and produces great ammo. Look around. Some used ones are out there, and can be bought reasonably. With that in mind, used rifle pressescan bea good buy too for the most part. Just be sure you check the linkage and ram for any slop.
I saw a Rockchucker Supreme kit for sale at a Wal-Mart in Clearfield, PA recently for $277, I believe. Yes, in Wal-Mart. They actually carried dies, shellholders, lube, pads, powder, etc. Couldn't believe what I was seeing. The best part of it was they had two1 lb. cans of IMR 4350 on the shelf. Yeah....HAD..............

oldreloader 05-08-2009 08:39 PM

I ordered wednesday from Midway.I went with the Lee Breechlock Challenger and the Lee Load All II. I had a Load All years ago and it worked great.I decided on the Challenger for rifle reloading. For what I will do it should be fine.If I understand right, it now has the same steel linkage as the Classic Cast. That should do away with the linkage breaking issue. I'm looking forward to reloading again. Thanks for everybodies help!

Bernie P. 05-09-2009 06:51 AM

I think you'll be very happy with both.Good luck!