HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Suggestions for .22-250 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/289691-suggestions-22-250-a.html)

Bandhunter 03-20-2009 02:17 PM

Suggestions for .22-250

I have a .22-250 with 1:12 twist and wanted to try some 45 gr and 50 gr speer bullets. I only have Hodgdon powders and their website lists different loads for both size bullets, but not the Speer brand. Does it make a difference if I use Speer, Sierra or Nosler when loading for the same weight of bullet.

Thanks, Rick

driftrider 03-20-2009 10:29 PM

RE: Suggestions for .22-250

Does it make a difference if I use Speer, Sierra or Nosler when loading for the same weight of bullet.
It can. Different bullet have different shapes, bearing surface area, densities and hardnesses that can effect the resistance the bullet poses to engraving in the rifling and moving down the bore. This can make pressures different even though the bullet weights are the same.

That being said, if you cannot find specific data, and you feel comfortable experimenting a little in a VERY careful and methodical fashion, then you can get use data for other similar bullets to work up a load with the bullet of your choice.

Take the data you have and reduce it by a full 10%. If the load data indicated that a specific powder should not be reduced that much (as is the case with some of the slower burning powders, but I doubt this will be a problem with any of the medium speed rifle powders used for the .22-250), try a different powder. My personal favorite that I've used a lot in the .22-250 is Varget. It's clean, produces respectable velocity and I've always managed very good to excellent accuracy with it. I've also had good luck with H-380, though as a ball powder it is said to be somewhat sensitive to temperature.

Anyway, reduce the load by a full 10% and work up SLOWLY in increments no more than 1% of the published MAX load. For a .22-250 this will be about 0.3 grains. Shoot the work up paying close attention to any pressure signs. Sticky bolt lift or extraction are prime indicators of high pressure. Flattened or cratered primers can also suggest high pressure, but it's not 100% since other factors can cause these problems. Sticky bolt lift, brass flow into the extractor or ejector area of the case head, and the best sign is if the case just ahead of the web has expanded, but it requires a micrometer to measure this (a standard caliper isn't accurate enough). If you see any pressure signs, stop immediately, back down to the last load that showed no signs and this is your MAX load for your rifle. I have never had any problems using this method. If you want to be more cautious, make your load increments 0.2 grains.

If you are in doubt, don't try it. Remember, safety first.

Mike

Bandhunter 03-28-2009 08:47 AM

Thanks for the info Mike. I had planned on starting at the minimum charge and working up .2 gr anyway.

Thanks, Rick

happytrigger 03-28-2009 05:43 PM

All manufacturers have reloading data on websites. Not just the powder manufacturers but the bullet manufacturers do also.

Bandhunter 03-28-2009 06:04 PM

Only if you buy their reloading manuals. Speer, Sierra, Nosler and Hornady, all have their own reloading manuals and do not give reloading data info on their websites that I have been to.

driftrider 03-28-2009 06:17 PM

Speer, Sierra and Hornady don't give data online (because they want you to buy their printed manual). Nosler does offer a limited amount of data, but it's kind of hard to find.

Go to www.nosler.com. Then click on "Bullets" on the top right. Then click on "Accubond" on the left. When the screen comes up you'll see in the description of the bullet a link to their load data. This is the only way I've found to access it, as I don't believe there is a direct link from the home page.

Here's a direct link: Nosler Online Load Guide

Mike