Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Neck sizing?

Old 03-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Neck sizing?

My 270 is rather hard on brass... even factory loads. Its always had expansion below the rim. Seeins how I only reload forone 270 would it make my brass life better if I only neck sized for it? I think the expansion is probably caused by excessive headspace but this gun groups almost anything you feed it very nicely so i really dont wanna tamper with anything.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Neck sizing?

D D, explain expansion below the rim, better yet, a picture is worth a thousand words!. If you do infact have excesive headspace, messed up brass is the least of your worries, I would be more concearned with a blow-out. Take the rifle to a local gunsmith and have the headspace checked, your safety is more important than a rifle that will group anything you feed it. If it does have a headspace issue, and you have a wife to deal with,your safety would be a good reason to have a new barrel installed.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think its called case head expansion. Loaded (Federal) factory ammo I have measures .459 just below the rim whereas the Rem and Winchester measure .451. The brass after firing is .460-.461.. the Rem and Winchester both measure .457-.458. This is measuredat the biggest part of the case just below the rim and just ahead of where the bolt covers.

This gun was bought in 1996 and has probably had 1500-2000 rounds fired thru it and the brass has always measured the same on the expansion part. Thats why I was wondering if the neck sizing would be a good step to make the brass last longer.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:19 AM
Fork Horn

As long as your not getting pressure signs, flattened primers, ejector marks, loose primer pocket and etc., with the round count you havein a .270, I would say you dont have a headspace problem!. Looking at your numbers, makes more than enough sense, Win and Rem brass is softer than Federal, but I beleive you are readding more into a problem than you really have!, your boltface is cut to accept a rim size of .473, the softer the brass, the more it will try to form that size under pressure. Though neck sizing will increase the life of your brass, I beleive you would be better off full length sizing for hunting purpose's do to the fact that it will feed easier for a quick follow up shot.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:55 AM
bigcountry

Here is another reason I suggest everyone has some headspace gauges just to see what is happening. The old stoney points are well worth it. (now hornady) You really need to know if the gun is in spec or your die is.

I highly suggest a collet die from lee over the RCBS/Forster/etc neck dies.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

big, I've never tried the collet dies, how much better are they really?
Old 03-21-2009, 06:49 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: devil dog

big, I've never tried the collet dies, how much better are they really?
Well, I used to argue with all these guys on here like driftrider that I hated anything lee, but now own 8 different collet dies. I still like the bushing comp dies from redding, but terribly expensive.

Many remember about 4-5 years ago, I was on this quest forzero runout. I mean I was nuts over it. I did everything. Inside reaming, outside turning, competition dies, bushing dies. When in the end, all it took was some minor culling thru the brass for ones that the necks are really bad, (thickness variations), and collet dies. or better yet, not buy cheap brass. I was doing this for a 300RUM and didn't have too many options at the time.

Only thing I don't like about Lee collets, is they use some cheap soft steel for the mandrel. I can't say I have wore any out, but after using them for a few years the collet looks very beat up.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

The expansion you report is not excessive. I would just set my sizing die to size about .30" of the cse neck. This is provided the cases go back into your chamber easily. This is "partial" fl sizing, and should leave the case headsin their expanded condition. You are correct that brass will last longer if it is not worked any more than is absolutely necessary.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the advice guys. I wanna get all the stuff I need to do it right while the finances are still good.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I used to argue with all these guys on here like driftrider that I hated anything lee, but now own 8 different collet dies. I still like the bushing comp dies from redding, but terribly expensive.
Huh...what? Did I say something? Am I in trouble for something? [&:]

Don't make me go ask my wife what I did wrong, 'cause she's got a long list.

Mike

Quick Reply: Neck sizing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.