Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Loading Close to the Lands >

Loading Close to the Lands

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Loading Close to the Lands

Old 03-18-2009, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Loading Close to the Lands

there is very little practical difference in a big game rifle that shoots 1" 5 shot groups and one that shoots 1 1/2" 3 shot groups.

That is only partialy true, hunting in areas that shots are made within 200yds, yes!, over 200 you need better groups to be confident. Now I'm not wanting to start another ethics blow-out on how making 500 + yard shots is unethical, I'm just stating that if you hunt long range, you need a rifle that can handle the task, if you happen to have a rifle with a long throat and you want to get every bit of accuacy out of it, your better off to re-barrel instead of setting back a stock barrel.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Typical Buck

My OAL is 3.44 with the 200 grain Accubond 5 thou off the lands. It fits in magazine and feeds fine. The rifle is a 116 Weather Warrior Savage in 30-06.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:22 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: statjunk

How can you change a rifle to make this happen? Please describe the process the smith has to under go.

About how much will something like this cost?

Thanks

Tom
My gunsmith has a two part reamer. One to ream the dimsions and another to move the headspace forward to desired depth. So he will use say a factory clymer reamer and ream out the SAAMI dimensions. Then he will go behind it and cut the headspace deeper. Then he will cut the threads and headspace properly.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-19-2010 at 05:23 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:21 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Ron Duval

There are very few 500 yard shots, and even fewer 500 yard riflemen.Ionly intended big game rifles in my comment, and 1/2" difference in group size at 100 will not be the biggest problem a guy faces when he lines up a 500 yard shot.
Varmits and targets require quite a bit more from a rifle.
My point was in agreement with the point that you had made, extra work on a factory barrel does not make sesne.
That being said, I am a big believer in accurate rifles and have had a few rebarreled to get that extra bit of precision. My current favorite elk rifle is a .300 Win Mag that sports a 26" Douglas barrel, and elk are big targets!
I guess I don't understand your point of your post. The guy asked a technical question on a tech board. And your post goes on about accuracy on what you think is or is not needed.

This is not strickly a hunting reloading forum.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-19-2010 at 05:24 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the input guys. Approximately how much would that cost to have done to a Ruger? Ball park is just fine.

Also how much would a new barrel run me with installation? Are they relatively close?

Thanks

Tom
Old 03-18-2009, 05:10 PM
bigcountry

New barrel install averages between 450-500 dollars. And getting a smith to do it the way you want might be more depending on if they have the reamer or not. Good smiths carry the standard stuff, but anything out of the orginary, they rent.

I should add that price is for a Dan Lilja, Krieger or Hart barrel. You can get cheaper barrels from Douglas and others.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:47 AM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-19-2010 at 05:25 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

It is the length of the leade part of the chambering reamer that determines this, not how close the barrels are screwed in......

Quick Reply: Loading Close to the Lands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.