HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   100gr Scirocco's in the Roy (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/289299-100gr-sciroccos-roy.html)

hunter5325 03-15-2009 04:55 PM

100gr Scirocco's in the Roy

Lookin at pickin up a box of these for my 257Wby and wanted to hear any feedback you guys have on 'em.

I know the original Scirocco's copper fowled prettybad, built pressure in a hurry, and wouldn't provide much accuracy out of my 30-06. Hoping the II's work a bit better for me.

Any first handexperience is appreciated,

Brett

driftrider 03-17-2009 08:07 AM

RE: 100gr Scirocco's in the Roy

I don't know much about the Scirocco's or the new Scirocco II, so I can't help yoou there, but if you don't already have the bullets I'd try the 100 grain Barnes Tipped TSX. I loaded some up for my 257 Wby (Rem 700 LSS) with IMR-7828 and the accuracy is impressive. The TSX will perform every bit as well as the Scirocco on game, and probably better. I chose the TTSX to start for two reasons, it's all copper so there will be no lead bullet frag in any deer I shoot with it. The TSX will also stand up to the velocity of the 257 Wby for close-up shots where other bullet blow up and/or shed all their weight and penetrate poorly, but will still perform great out to very long ranges.

Since the range I shoot at was a muddy swamp out by the berm, these groups were shot at 95 yards.

driftrider 03-17-2009 08:11 AM

The average group size is about 0.79" with both the rounds fired during my load workup, and the fireforming rounds that I fired to form the shoulder on some 7mm Rem Mag brass that I had reformed to 257 Wby Mag. Also, copper fouling with the TTSX was minimal.

Mike

hunter5325 03-20-2009 09:54 PM

Thanks for the post but I'm kind of tryin to stay away from the Barnes in my deer rifles. I ran 100gr NBT's and Gamekings all last year out of my 25-06 @ 3400fps and the deer I shot acted as though a lightening bolt had hit 'em. . . . just about as DRT as DRT gets. The year before I ran 100gr XLC's and had to track most animals shot. Now of course lead-cores won't penetrate like a Barnes would on larger game but most of'em exited the mulies anyways.

I'm thinkin I'll want the slightly tougher construction of the Scirocco's with the increased velocity of the Roy....

Nice groups by the way,

Brett

driftrider 03-20-2009 09:57 PM

Thanks for the post but I'm kind of tryin to stay away from the Barnes in my deer rifles.
Why? The Barnes bullets should perform wonderfully at 257 Wby velocities.

Mike

hunter5325 03-20-2009 10:00 PM

Sorry, edited my last post to include the reason...

driftrider 03-20-2009 10:10 PM

Ok, fair enough.

If the TSX hadn't grouped in my rifle, my next choice was the 110gr Nosler Accubond, then the Hornady Interbond or Nosler Partition. Both are supposed to be excellent performers and should be tough enough to hold together reasonably well at ultra-high velocity. I would never use a Ballistic Tip in the Wby. They are far too frangiable at standard velocities for my taste, but drive them at over 3500 fps and I can't help but worry that they'd blow up like a varmint bullet on impact at close range, resulting in a vicious but shallow wound. I am just glad that the TTSX grouped well, as I really want to avoid lead cored bullets if I can given my experience with the Core-Lock bullet this year.

Mike

hunter5325 03-20-2009 10:25 PM

I hear ya, I love 168TTSX's in my 300Wby and 300RUM, and 140TTSX's in my 7RM when elk are on the menu......just not my favorite for a deer bullet.

Brett