HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   How are Sierra bullets (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/289256-how-sierra-bullets.html)

Kbeaner 03-15-2009 08:18 AM

How are Sierra bullets

I have been loading Nosler partitions for my .300RSAUM with no qualms at all, but for economical and financial reasons I am thinking of switching to sierra, probably the Pro-hunters for this round. How will these bullets hold up in that caliber? I want an economical bullet, yet if they won't perform and be accurate then Im not going to waste my money on them. I loaded some Game-Kings in my .260 rem last year and got good results, but not sure how they would do with the .300 short ultra mag.Also, is the only difference between the Game King and Pro Hunter the flat base of the Pro Hunter? thanks.

Maverick 1 03-15-2009 10:19 AM

RE: How are Sierra bullets

I have used the Sierra 175 grain Spitzerpro hunterin my 8mm-06 for years and have been very pleased with them. Accuracy is superb and I have never had any issues holding a deer with them.

According to Sierra, the gamekings are generally designed to be used as a long range bullet while the pro hunter is generally used at more moderate ranges.

Honestly, I believe Nosler, Sierra, and Hornady all make fine good quality bullets.

gunnermhr 03-15-2009 03:45 PM

Don't be afraid of using 190SMK. The book says SMK's are target only but they will give you good results on game and accuracy is 2nd to none.

nutzy66 03-15-2009 04:09 PM

Would not hesitate going with sptizers.

hunter5325 03-15-2009 05:06 PM

I wouldn't hesitate to use a 165 or 180 ProHunter out of the Saum. I've found the PH to be a bit tougher than the GameKing . . . .but I don't think the difference would be even worth noting if deer sized critters are your quary.

I will say the Sierra's have been one of the most accurate bullets in many of my rigs...

Brett

TUK101 03-15-2009 06:42 PM

The Sierra Gamekings in 165gr .308 caliber worked great for me last year. They shot nice in everything that I tried it in, from 30-30 (either loaded one at a time or in a clip) to 30.06 and 308 Winchester. They loaded easily too being a boattail design.

country1 03-15-2009 08:13 PM

ORIGINAL: gunnermhr

Don't be afraid of using 190SMK. The book says SMK's are target only but they will give you good results on game and accuracy is 2nd to none.
The Match King is not a hunting bullet, and that is why Sierra has posted that it is not to be used for hunting. If a Match King bullet hits bone (especially heavy bone), it is known to break up and not provide a clean kill.

gunnermhr 03-19-2009 04:05 PM

ORIGINAL: country1

The Match King is not a hunting bullet, and that is why Sierra has posted that it is not to be used for hunting. If a Match King bullet hits bone (especially heavy bone), it is known to break up and not provide a clean kill.
Your Right!!! Don't try them cause they don't work. I NEVER killed anything with them!! Neither has anyone else.

This is a 240 Grain SMK out of a 30-378 on a ground hog at 300 yards. I think they work just fine

country1 03-19-2009 04:53 PM

A groundhog is not a deer sized game. A groundhog does not havemuch of abone structure. If the bullet breaks up on a groundhogso what. A fragmenting 240 grainbullet will do a fine job on a groundhog. Sierra says you can use its Match King in .308 diamter bullets for prairie dogs, etc. There is a reason why Sierra says the Match Kingnot to be used on deer sized or larger game.

gunnermhr 03-19-2009 05:26 PM

I never killed a deer with one either ;). Unless you have used one on a deer size animal you shouldn't give it bad reviews. You hit a deer with a 240 grain SMK it WILL NOT GO ANYWHERE. I HAVE DONE IT! Same can be said for the 190 SMK it just doesn't have as much energy. Long range hunters use them because they are very accurate and very effective. I know a bunch of guys that hunt Elk at distances up to 1300 yards and the SMK is the bullet of choice for them.