HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Advice for a Newbie (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/289121-advice-newbie.html)

Nolehoe 03-13-2009 08:31 AM

Advice for a Newbie

I'm thinking about getting into cartridge reloading, I have experience with reloading shotshells but not brass cartridges.

What type/brand loader would you suggest if you were starting from scratch? I've looked at a Lyman turret style but for close to the same amount of money I could get a Lee progressive. Please don't limit your suggestions to these two if you would prefer a different choice.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

OH, I would be starting with /38spcl-.357 and later .40 s&w, .30-06 and .223

Ron Duval 03-13-2009 09:13 AM

old

removed by RD

nutzy66 03-13-2009 11:24 AM

RE: Advice for a Newbie

I would go with a RCBS kit and a LE Wilson trimmer to start with and then you can go from there.

halcon 03-13-2009 11:03 PM

I've owned most types of presses at one time or another and still prefer the O type myself . I'm not a big fan of progressive presses when I'm loading match ammo , but that is just me .

driftrider 03-14-2009 07:10 AM

Get the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Kit ($280 at Mid South Shooters Supply), get a Lee case trimmer with the correct length gauges for each cartridge you load for, the appropriate dies and shellholders. The RCBS kit will come with the latest Speer manual, which will get you started (READ IT!). There is a lot of load data on the web from reputable sources (manufacturers websites), but if you have a particular brand of bullet you like, you might want to invest in a load manual from that company.

Good Luck,

Mike

hicap30 03-22-2009 03:03 PM

A Lee "O" style reloading kit is the cheapest price although an RCBS Rockchucker kit is better quality and it comes with a better powder measurer. My Lee press has has hundreds of rounds through it, as large as 300 H&H Magnum and it still works great. Lee also makes a "Classic Cast Press" made out of cast iron. You're suppose to be able to load 50 BMG with the thing, although any other caliber will work too. It justa has to do with how much money you want to spend. If you do get the Lee kit, chuck the plastic powder measurer and get an RCBS or Lyman. Stick type powder will work with a Lee measurer, but flake type will leak out of the mechanism onto your work bench. Also, the plastic construction of the Lee measurer creates alot of static, making your powder stick to EVERYTHING! Good luck!

TUK101 03-22-2009 03:48 PM

I dont have a problem with flake type powder with my Lee measure, but I do have the static problem sometimes. My Lee powder measure seems to work just fine, even after 2 1/2 years of reloading with it and thousands of rounds. I can see the benefits of an RCBS style of powder measure though, but at least give the Lee one a shot before you chuck it.

[email protected] 03-22-2009 07:35 PM

:)I'm in search of 6.5 x 57mm mauser brass to reload for my ole lovely custom mauser. Thanks for any advice.
Wyndell

driftrider 03-22-2009 08:27 PM

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

:)I'm in search of 6.5 x 57mm mauser brass to reload for my ole lovely custom mauser. Thanks for any advice.
Wyndell
Welcome to the board...

Now, my advice for you is to start your own thread to ask your question, rather than hijack someone elses. It's considered off topic and somewhat rude to ask a completely unrelated question in someone else's thread. Go back to the reloading forum and click "New Post" and then ask your question.

But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on your little forum faux pas and give you a quick answer. To get 6.5x57 Mauser brass just go get some Boxer primed 7x57mm brass and run it through your 6.5x57 FL sizing die. In goes 7x57, out pops 6.5x57. Make sure you lube the cases properly. I prefer Imperial (Redding) Sizing Die Wax, it works great and a little goes a long way. Use a smooth stroke of the ram for best results. Trim to length if necessary and check the neck diameter of the first loaded case to make sure it's under the max spec.

Again, welcome to the board. Lots of good people here who will do whatever we can to help you out.

Mike

eldeguello 03-23-2009 06:00 AM

ORIGINAL: Ron Duval

I like a turret style press for handgun cartridges, but I most definately prefer an O style press (like an RCBS Rockchucker) for rifle cartridges. While a turret press will work fine, an O is more rigid.The turret press hasa bit offlex. Resizing rifle cartridgesputs quite a bit more stress on the press, and bullet seating is more critical for accurate rifle handloads. If I only had one press, it would be an O type.
I agree.