Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Question of where to reload. >

Question of where to reload.

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Question of where to reload.

Old 01-23-2002, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question of where to reload.

I REALLY want to start reloading but I have a few dilemas as well as questions. I don't have a shop or large shed to do reloading in, and the space that is in the house is very limited. I was wondering how many of you reload in the house and how do you do it. Do you have a compact loading bench? Where is it done, closet, room, ect.? How safe is it to do in the house? I really need to know because I want to start. Any help would be great! Thanks.
Old 01-23-2002, 04:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Question of where to reload.

CB. I reload in my house in a spare bedroom. The actual set up takes up very little room. My "bench" is a Black and Decker Workmate on top of which I bolted a larger piece of counter top remnant. I then bolted on to it the press and also clamped on the powder charger. I have the RCBS Rock Chucker press kit sold by Cabela's among others. I had some old floor to ceiling poles with slots for shelves that I put up next to the bench on which I store the other equipment, powder, cases, etc. Total area actually used is quite small. I couldn't really use the garage because of temperature extremes in the winter and summer even in here in Virginia and don't have a basement. I'm careful to minimize spilling any powder and vacuum the area immediately under the bench weekly. I've been reloading since 1999 when I got into Cowboy Action Shooting. I also reload hunting rounds. Regards.
Old 01-23-2002, 05:06 PM

I started reloading about 89, and started with a small work table inthe corner of my basement. My original stuff was a reload kit from RCBS and a couple of cardboard boxes to store everything in. Now I have a small cabinet, reload for shotgun, pistol and rifle, a total of 12 calibers and gauges. Funny thing is, the cabinet takes just a bit more room than the boxes did, the bench is actually smaller. I am still in one corner of my basement with it.

I do prefer a cement floor as its easier to clean up, but I am at the point where a small rug under my feet feels pretty good, so I get it shook out after every session.

Don't smoke in that area ever... EVER!! Other than that, it safe to do anywhere you want, just think about what your doing, without distractions.
Old 01-23-2002, 06:13 PM

I've got a spare bedroom with a fairly large bench and some shelves for powder/primer/bullets/tools etc. so my setup takes up a bit of space. A friend that also reloads has his press bolted to a three foot long piece of 2x8 and it stays in the closet until he's ready to reload. He pulls it out and c-clamps it to a table and he's up and running. It doesn't have to take up much space.
Old 01-23-2002, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

I have mine on a sears work bench in my bed room,I store my powder in an out building,the top is 18x 45.has plenty of room and is out of the way.
Old 01-23-2002, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I load in my living room; my loading bench is between my sofa and TV. Don't have a wife, kids or a full time girlfriend so that makes things easer. Good Luck.
Old 01-23-2002, 10:31 PM

i use a small area about like a mud room. it is big enough for my bench which is 6' long . i have two rock chuckers my uniflow and auto prime mounted. i clamp my trimmer to the table (i need one those uni. mount plates). i like to be away from the family when i load for the peace and concentration. i enjoy the solitude .
Old 01-23-2002, 11:19 PM

Hi CB, I started reloading in the house and used a hand held lee loader for my 357 mag.
I stoped using it when I touched off a primer and scared everyone in the house to death. My first press was a RCBS Rockchucker and I set it up on a small bench top and secured it to the side of an old dresser. It was 3/4 inch and 3ft X 4FT. I kept my 2 cans of powder on the bench and the primers and bullets in the top drawer. ( No kids at the time) Ive been reloading now since 76 and with the exception of the detonated primer Ive had no other mishaps.I now have a set up in my garage that now includes a Dillon RL550 progressive and my original Rockchucker.You don't need much room to get started, but you will need a quiet place so you can concentrate on what your doing and go slow until your familiar with the process. it's not rocket science but you do need to be carefull. Keep your powder and primers seperate and don't leave the powder in the measure after your done put it back in the can it came from before you stop for the day or change powders. Also clean up your table area and any spilled powder.CB one more thing get a good reloading manuel and follow it carefully. Speer, Sierra,& Hornady are good starts, get two and cross reference. You'll be adding more as you get more into it. The internet is a good place as well, check out Hornadys web site they post load tables there to.Have fun and keep it simple, you'll be able to produce quality ammo without a big area.
JM
Old 01-24-2002, 12:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do mine in the basement on a home made work bench. Like someone else mentioned, concrete floors are nice fro cleaning up. The little decapped primers seem to get everywhere.
Old 01-24-2002, 02:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I lived in Las Vegas I had two presses fastened to a old typwriter table on wheels . I had to load on the back patio and keep everything in a closet .Kept all the powder and bullets in plastic storage boxes .The table was 24x16 so it don't take much room . I am glad I don't have that problem now , but at the time it worked .Guns to bows were you using remington or federal primer when you set one off . CCI or Winchester primers are less prone to that than the first two .

Quick Reply: Question of where to reload.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.