Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Lapua Brass ?

Old 01-26-2009, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Lapua Brass ?

Is Lupua brass worth the additional cost over Winchester brass?

Is it that much more consistent?

Thanks

Tom
Old 01-26-2009, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lapua Brass ?

What about Starline?

Tom
Old 01-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Typical Buck

I don't know about what you want it to do, but in 6 PPC Lapua is so consistent, some guys are loading it without neck turning or sizing. They are using a special chamber reamer sized so the neck hits the chamber wall and goes back to a sized condition. That would require consistent brass I cannot even imagine owning!

Is it worth it in a varmint or factory gun with normal chambers? I don't know. It depends on what you want the consistency for. I know I can't use it. If I had better dies, maybe I could use it.

If you are shooting .75" at 100 yards for 5 shots on average and want to improve, this might be worth theeffort. I would avoid flash hole and primer pocket prep work in general.

This is all based on what I have read when I considered it. For now, I have no money and plenty of Win brass!
Old 01-26-2009, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've only had experience with Lapua brass in one chambering...9.3 x 62..

All I can tell you, is that I've loaded it 5 or 6 times with near max laods, and I have yet to see ANY stretching.. That's more than I can say about Win or Rem brass in several other calibers....
Old 01-26-2009, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

I have used Starline brass for my Ruger 45 Colt loads. I don't know if Starline is better, but I do know it was all the same length and has held up to my heavey 45 Colt loads.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

Lapua is simply the best brass on the market. Is it Better than Winchester? By Far! Is it worth the extra $$? Thats personal preferance. For me, match brass is worth it, a varmint rifle that gets hundreds ofrounds a year is worth it but ahunting rifle that gets less than 10 shots a year out of it I don't spend the extra $$. Personally I like the Remington brass better than Winchester. I know a lot of people prefer Winchester but to me the Remington seems more consistant and has better Q.A.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I only use Lapua brass in my 243, 6.5x55, and 308, but I use Norma and Lapua in my 9.3x62. I have tried Winchester, Remington, Hornady, PMC, and others that I can't remember off the top of my head, and I firmly believe the Lapua is worth every penny.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok I guess I'll take it that you are getting what you pay for.

Any other comments on Starline brass?

The comment about Rem being better than Win, that's the first I hear of that. I typically hear quite the opposite.

I can't find any 45-70 gov Winchester brass so I'm going to have to go another route.

Thanks

Tom
Old 01-27-2009, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: statjunk

Is Lupua brass worth the additional cost over Winchester brass?

Is it that much more consistent?

Thanks

Tom
For a hunting rifle, i doubt it. For LR target or benchrest shooting, maybe!
Old 01-27-2009, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

stat, in the 45/70, the pressures you shoot rem would be fine, not much difference except for how it handles pressure.
RR
.......+1.....

Quick Reply: Lapua Brass ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.