Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Sizing Die Damaging Brass on Some Cases >

Sizing Die Damaging Brass on Some Cases

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Sizing Die Damaging Brass on Some Cases

Old 01-23-2009, 07:32 AM
Typical Buck

Default Sizing Die Damaging Brass on Some Cases

Help, I'm in the middle of a run of ~500 223 Rem for my AR. My sizing die is raising a burr on the base of about 1 in 10 cases. It is like the cases are not perfectly aligned with the die opening, but when I check before and after runtout, it is certainly acceptable. I can't check the damaged cases well, but the undamaged ones have neck runout of about .001" - .002".

All I can think of is some cases fit the shellholder tight, so I have been tossing any which don't feed easily into the shellplate. I also know my decapping pin has about .01" of runout and heck I even bent one! I had been pulling decapping pins(Will break your press!)out of the die about 1 in 50 rounds, so I added some locktite and roughness to the pin to hold it in the collet better. Die is a Forster FL die. That worked, but I never could get the pin RO under .01.

I have never loaded this many cases in a row with this die, but it probably has loaded 1000 223 before. Should I consider replacing it with a Hornady, RCBS or maybe a Redding die which might be intended for higher volume?

Well, I'm going to call Forster and see what they say. Surely they will beat me up about progressive loading with their die set! Last time I had a decapping problem, they told me it was a problem with the pin and they would SELL me a new one! Heck, Hornady or RCBS has NEVER done that to me. I almost swallowed my tongue! Trouble is Forster dies are great regarding measured consistency. So, I am kind of addicted to their dies!
Old 01-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sizing Die Damaging Brass on Some Cases

Have you checked the die for possibly built up sizing lube that may have dried and hardened? I know that with my dies I check them for build up about every 2-300 loads. I have even found a piece of tumbling media that found its way in there. Anyways, it wouldnt hurt to just check and even take a qtip with some alcohol to clean it up. Maybe you have a different problem, but for it to only do what you are saying once in about 10 rounds sounds to me like something trapped in the die. Another thing that could be too, is media still in the brass from tumbling? Anyways, just some suggestions. Good luck in solving your problem.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would recommend taking the decapping rod out completely and wiping everything off and then flushing the die with some brake cleaner, carburator cleaner or some other degreaser and wipe it out with a Q-tip or cloth.
Not exactly sure where your scratches are occuring but cleaning the die definately will not hurt.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks. . .The die is clean. I have done that several times. Tonight I am going to look at the shellplate. Maybe it has a chunk of media which only is an issue every 10 rounds. Never had this before.

I ordered a new spindle assembly. That set me bacck $14 plus shipping. I was going to just get the spindle, but Forster reccomended the entire assy. They say there have been a couple of improvements made. Well, all in all that will be a few dollars cheaper than a new die. I hope I still don't need a new die!
Old 01-24-2009, 02:51 AM
Typical Buck

Well, the decapping pin broke again and it broke right at the collet. I can't remove it with pliers. I'm forced to wait for the new assy. At this point, I'm very concerned that I really just need to go to a stronger die or decap with my universal decapper. This is a Hornady LNL press. What is your opinion of this process?
1) decap
2) prime
3) FL size

That would get me in business in the short and long run. . .
Old 01-24-2009, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would decap, FL size then prime. Just a bit dangerous to FL size after priming. Probably have a 99.999% chance of nothing ever happening, but you never know sometimes. I am sure that there are plenty of people out there that have sized after priming, but it is safer to prime after sizing.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

Long story short. . .I think thoroughly cleaning the shellplate has fixed the sizing damaging the case. . .I hope.

The die being damaged is traced to a weak spindle design IMO and me not doing the case prep I should. I am going to try decapping in a universal decapper and reaming primer pockets. . .Wish me luck. I hate to add this extra case prep as it is a real slow down. I would guess I will have maybe 6 - 8 hours into prepping the remaining cases. How will I ever keep them sorted to do it to the rest? Well, I may not have to do them. After decapping and reloading once, I think the crimp is removed for all intensive purposes because I go a new primer in and didn't recrimp. I'll add to this as I get results. . .