Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Full case resizing or neck resizing? >

Full case resizing or neck resizing?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Full case resizing or neck resizing?

Old 01-12-2009, 03:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default Full case resizing or neck resizing?

Guys, I have a question, I have only reloaded a little over 1000 rounds for my 30.06. 308, and 300WSM and have always full sized the cases, thats how I was taught. Is neck sizing more accurate? do you need a seperate die to do it? I only have 3 rifles that I own, one in each of the above cals, I have an RCBS reloader and most of my dies are RCBS.
Any help would be welcome.
Thx.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:21 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Full case resizing or neck resizing?

If you have the tools, you can partial FL neck size. You need to measure a fire formed case to the shoulder using a head and shoulders gauge from now hornady. And then screw in your sizer to match that or nock the shoulders .002" or so back.

I have FL dies that actually match my chamber perfect. I have also modifed a few dies to match a rifles headspace by milling off .004" or less. But you need to know how much and buying so low dollar tools can help.

But I have done a lot of tests and find without camming over a FL die, you tend to not have your die in square and can get erratic results in bumping the shoulder back only .002". Another option is neck dies. I like em, but they tend to cause runout.

So I pretty well stay with lee collet dies. They work much better than other neck dies, and cause much less runout.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

BC is pretty knowledgeable about this. Sometimes I have to read his post twice until I get what he is saying
Neck sizing will improve accuracy to some degree and will extend case life. But I personally do not neck size but FL size all my cases. I prefer ease of chambering over accuracy. And IMO matching a case to chamber with only .002" - .004" clearance can cause some difficult chambering if not done properly.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:28 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

BC is pretty knowledgeable about this. Sometimes I have to read his post twice until I get what he is saying
Neck sizing will improve accuracy to some degree and will extend case life. But I personally do not neck size but FL size all my cases. I prefer ease of chambering over accuracy. And IMO matching a case to chamber with only .002" - .004" clearance can cause some difficult chambering if not done properly.
I have trouble mastering the english language

I used to neck size only for years, and never, never had a hickup. Until I was in newfoundland, trying to chamber another round, and in the excitement, couldn't do it. I had to eject that round and go to another one and quickly, as it was a followup shot. Murphy's law in full effect.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

I know BC. I get like that sometimes too. Also, I know there are a lot of people out there that do not know how small .002" is. (less than 1/2 the thickness of a sheet of std. copy paper).
Old 01-12-2009, 09:48 AM
Fork Horn

Please excuse my ignorance but what is run out? I take it that this is not a good thing. also I take it that these Lee collet dies are for the neck only? And third a buddy of mine gave me some 30.06 once fired brass from his Girard (spelling) Since this was not fired from my gun do I have to full size it? Thx for all of your help
Old 01-12-2009, 09:57 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: sauer06

Please excuse my ignorance but what is run out? I take it that this is not a good thing. also I take it that these Lee collet dies are for the neck only? And third a buddy of mine gave me some 30.06 once fired brass from his Girard (spelling) Since this was not fired from my gun do I have to full size it? Thx for all of your help
First thing runout is basically the concentricity of the ammo. Or how staight is your ammo. If you roll your cartridge on a mirror, can you see a bullet wobble? You can measure this with a dial indicator or gauge. But you can easily see runout greater than .007" rolling on a mirror.

Second, Lee makes a collet die, and about the only good thing they make. Basically it supports the case and will neck size referencing the inside of your case mouth, not the outside. So when you seat a bullet, it should be straight.

Lastly, anytime, I mean anytime you reload a case fired in another gun, it has to be FL Sized all the way again. Then after that, you can neck size after its been fire formed in yoru rifle only.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default fourms

One more question,
Old 01-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

Thx for all your help.I will full size my buddys spent cases.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I do a partial FL sizing,IF the brass was fired in the rifle I plan to use the ammo in, and/or it will chamber easily before sizing, I just run the cases into the FL die just about one caliber to get enough neck tension to securely hold the new bullet - .3" for .30 caliber, etc.

FL sizing is reserved for cases that are too oversize in some dimension to freely chamber in the rifle they will be used in next.

The less you work the brass, the longer the cases will last.

Quick Reply: Full case resizing or neck resizing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.