Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 New Reloader! Some questions? >

New Reloader! Some questions?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

New Reloader! Some questions?

Old 04-13-2003, 12:43 AM

Default New Reloader! Some questions?

Just set it up.. an old - and I mean about 50 year old " C-H" press that a friend gave me... never used before. Bolted to the bench. Came with full length 06 resizing/primer remover die and a bullet seating die. Also a scale.. but not functional and a Redding powder measure.... circa 1950 also...
Don' t know if it will through a consistant load though yet.

Do you know if C-H is still around and/or if I can use some other die' s in it? Or am I looking at getting a new press to branch off. I am interested in loading the 06, 6mm rem, 300 win, 300 ultra, 270, 300 savage and 30/30 for starters.

So,, what else should I get for tools before I get serious... case trimmer, new scale (digital or mech).. bullet puller, head space gauge and case guage (assume they' re still very necesary. How about that powder thrower? Is there new technology I should consider - or just stick with the scale and funnel? Came with a Speer reloading manual dated 1962.

Can only tell you that it looks like I' ve found something else to add to my list of hobbies!!! Pretty fun! Set it up and had the primers out and resized the cases in just a few minutes, then practiced reseating spent primers. Fun, Fun, Fun..Especially, since I' ve spent no money yet.

Any advice as to what else to get would be great.
Old 04-13-2003, 08:50 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-13-2003, 10:08 PM

Default RE: New Reloader! Some questions?

Pretty sure I' m going with a digital scale.. maybe RBCS? How is the auto powder despencer working for you? Does it hold tight once calibrated? What kind is it?

Thanks.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:03 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-14-2003, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

To stay on the budget minded side, I would say get a good beam scale like a Lyman or RCBS, next Lee Autoprime with the shell holder set. Case trimmer is a must. so is a chamfer/deburring tool. A powder thrower would be a nice add on, but I haven' t gotten around to getting one yet myself so... Look at it this way, first get a current manual and then see what the add ons are later. This way you' ll have a better idea of what might work for you. In any case your in the right place to ask your questions.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

I use the Lee dipers and weigh each charge, onn a beam scale ( RCBS 505) I also agree with the Lee autoprime, nice and easy to use. I was looking at the pact digital scale but, read some one on this forum had troublle with it.So I' m now rethinking maybe to RCBS it' s alittle more money but more people swearing by them than at them is a plus.
Old 04-18-2003, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

you already have a press...and dies....if you want more dies, I suggest RCBS or Redding, if you want a beam balance scale I suggest Ohaus......sold by dillon, rcbs and others.....Hornady' s scale is fine too. I' m not fond of digital scales.

If your press isn' t capable of priming, I' d suggest Hornady' s hand priming tool.....it' s far better than Lees.

You' ll need a funnel, and a loading block and a case trimmer.....I suggest forester or Wilson for the case trimmer and a deburring tool.....RCBS or wilson is my pick there.

You can spend a lot of bucks on reloading toys.....if you wish to do so look closely to Dillon, RCBS, Lyman, and Redding

I wouldn' t give a dime for a truckload of stuff from Lee or some of Hornady' s stuff when it' s a matter of reloading tools. Hornady makes the best bullets in the world in my opinion......don' t know how they make such poor reloading tools.