Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Tell me about Varget powder >

Tell me about Varget powder

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Tell me about Varget powder

Old 12-23-2008, 02:17 PM

Default RE: Tell me about Varget powder

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies and information. I just braved 13" of snow today to test out the .22-250 loads I made up. 3 shot groups ranged from 0.28 to 0.9inches out of my Ruger Varmint Target rifle at 100 yards with 50 grain Hornady v-max bullets. Looks like I can settle in and reload a bunch of rounds this winter.

Best wishes,

KEJ
Old 12-23-2008, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

If I'm not mistaken I think I heard somewhere that Varget holds its consistency in extreme cool to cold temperature fluctuations,.Is this true?
Old 12-24-2008, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say that Varget is the powder of choice for most of the NRA High Power shooters that shoot the .223 (damn near all of 'em)
Varget and RL-15 both are the powders for bullets 68gr and heavier in the .223.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Absolutely. I tend to lean toward Varget because here in NJ, our High Power season starts in April and runs through November so we start shooting in sub-freezing weather, continue into high heat and finish in sub-freezing again, so it definitely pays to use a powder that'll perform in all temps and Varget does this beautifully without having to worry about loading rounds in the winter that'll blow primers in the summer.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had excellent results with Varget with all my .22-250's. Excellent accuracy with respectable velocity. It's the only powder I use for .22-250 anymore, and I've experimented with a couple others with not quite as good results (like H-380).

I've also used it for .243 Win in the past (don't have the rifle anymore) with good results.

Mike

Old 12-24-2008, 11:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

The "pet load" for my Ruger M77MkII V/T was W-W cases, CCI Large Rifle Bench Rest primers, 55gr Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets, and stuffed with 36.7 grains of Varget. It gave that rifle consistant 1/2MOA average groups and the mean MV was 3674fps. FYI: This is at or very near a MAX LOAD. It was perfectly safe in my rifle and showed no pressure signs at all, but work up with all due caution.

I loved that rifle, but the barrel had 3000+ rounds through it and accuracy was starting to suffer a little (it'd still hold 3/4 MOA all day long, but I wanted better from a dedicated bench varmint/target rig). Traded it for a Remington M700 VL SS Thumbhole that wouldn't break the 1/2 MOA mark no matter how hard I tried. I bedded it, floated the barrel, had the trigger done, and tried at least a dozen different powder/bullet work-ups and couldn't get it to shoot like the Ruger. I suppose I could have gone the whole distance and had it rebarrelled and blue-printed, but by the time I started thinking about that, I was too frustrated with it to want to spend any more money on the damn thing.

Mike

Old 01-01-2009, 07:38 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: fishead

If I'm not mistaken I think I heard somewhere that Varget holds its consistency in extreme cool to cold temperature fluctuations,.Is this true?
Vargets popularity and selling point was the fact that it was highly resistant to temperature variations. Its name comes from var-mint and tar-get.

its development opened the flood gates for many new powders, and the modification of some older ones like H4895 H4198, which were persnickity in temperature changes.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use Varget in my 223 & 7mm-08.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Spike

Default varget powder

i use it to great effect in my cz 308 varmiter and my savage 22-250 and savage 308 model 14. Great for those but not good for 45-70. It will shoot fine with my marlin 1895 guide in 45-70, but leaves lots of full unburned grains. It is too slow a powder for the 45-70- unless you go long barrel like sharps or tap door. better for that is 4198. Varget does not meter well with uniflow, that is true but gets close and then trickle the little bit more to get to the load i want.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Fork Horn

i use 35.5 varget and 4064 in my 22-250,they both shoot the same bullet to same poi,they are very close but varget is my choice.oh yes it also rocks in my mosin

Quick Reply: Tell me about Varget powder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.