HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Recovered Hornady Interbond pics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/274735-recovered-hornady-interbond-pics.html)

Solitary Man 11-21-2008 09:13 AM

Recovered Hornady Interbond pics

Last Jan. I used a 165 gr. Hornady Interbond to take a whitetail doe at approx. 75 yards. These are loaded in my .30-06 to 2840 fps muzzle velocity.My aim was off a bit andthe bullet hit higher than Ihad intended. It took out about 6 to 8 inches of spine before coming to rest in the backstrap.

I'm really happy with this bullet. I prefer it to the Accubond because in my experience it's more accurate and its terminal performance on game is better. That is, it mushrooms wider and retains more weight.

CZ2506 11-21-2008 11:31 AM

RE: Recovered Hornady Interbond pics

ORIGINAL: Solitary Man

My aim was off a bit andthe bullet hit higher than Ihad intended. It took out about 6 to 8 inches of spine before coming to rest in the backstrap.

In my deer camp, tearing up a backstrap is a mandatory 2 point deduction.:D

Solitary Man 11-21-2008 12:04 PM

ORIGINAL: CZ2506
In my deer camp, tearing up a backstrap is a mandatory 2 point deduction.:D
Yea, I wasn't happy about loosing part of a backstrap. In my camp it's a mandatory 2 beer deduction.;)

bigcountry 11-21-2008 03:11 PM

I have noticed the accubonds are not great deer bullets. Especially heavy ones. I saw a 160gr .284" accubond hit a deer last year from an STW at 3200fps and it penciled thru. Killed him.

Probably great on elk or moose. I haven't tried the interbond yet. Thanks for the report.

eldeguello 11-21-2008 04:13 PM

Wow! Most of the reports I've seen rated the Accubond right up with the Nosler Ballistic Tip for accuracy-very high indeed.

BTW-nice mushroom! Hitting the spine like that no doubt was a severe test of the bullet's ability to hang together. I had a similar hit on a central TX whitetail once with the 117-grain Sierra .257" PSPBTfrom a .25/'06. It also did a job on the spine, but the bullet disappeared into thin air....

mossy33oak 11-21-2008 04:46 PM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I have noticed the accubonds are not great deer bullets. Especially heavy ones. I saw a 160gr .284" accubond hit a deer last year from an STW at 3200fps and it penciled thru. Killed him.

Probably great on elk or moose. I haven't tried the interbond yet. Thanks for the report.
I agree to a point. On the larger calibers in the 3100 fps range I agree. The 110 lb doe I shot with the 180 gr .308 Accubond in the Ultra going 3200 fps didnt expand even through the far shoulder. However on the lighter bullets like in my 25-06 the 110 gr accubond at 3060 fps perform awesome. I am still waiting for my father to shoot something with his .270 with 140 gr accubonds going 2750 fps to see how they perform there.

handloader1 11-21-2008 06:38 PM

Solitary Man:

Congratulations on your kill!! Nice bullet. :D

bigcountry 11-21-2008 08:49 PM

ORIGINAL: mossy33oak

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I agree to a point. On the larger calibers in the 3100 fps range I agree. The 110 lb doe I shot with the 180 gr .308 Accubond in the Ultra going 3200 fps didnt expand even through the far shoulder. However on the lighter bullets like in my 25-06 the 110 gr accubond at 3060 fps perform awesome. I am still waiting for my father to shoot something with his .270 with 140 gr accubonds going 2750 fps to see how they perform there.
I bet a 110gr.277 Accubond would be devastating at 3200fps.:D
I see they started making them this year.

Also started 150gr .308 bullets. I bet we can get that ultra kicking em at 3500fps if we stuff it with enough go-go juice.:D

BarnesX.308 11-21-2008 09:13 PM

I don't know. I see a lot of that jacket with no lead on it. Looks like it lost a good amount of weight.

Before I switched to Barnes X bullets, I used Trophy Bonded Bear Claws. I save a few. The peeled back jacket has the lead attached to it andmost weigh 95% of what they weighed when they were fired.

That's a nice bullet and you got the animal. But, for my 2 cents, I'm using TBBCs if I'm using lead. If not, Barnes Triple Shock all the way.

RugerM77.270 11-22-2008 11:37 AM

ORIGINAL: BarnesX.308

I don't know. I see a lot of that jacket with no lead on it. Looks like it lost a good amount of weight.

Before I switched to Barnes X bullets, I used Trophy Bonded Bear Claws. I save a few. The peeled back jacket has the lead attached to it andmost weigh 95% of what they weighed when they were fired.

That's a nice bullet and you got the animal. But, for my 2 cents, I'm using TBBCs if I'm using lead. If not, Barnes Triple Shock all the way.
Actually that interbond has a good amount of lead left. The lead in the interbond goes all the way to the base where the TBBC only goes about half way.

So seeing that there is a fair about of base left unopened there is a fair amount of weight left.