Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Accubond Performance! >

Accubond Performance!

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Accubond Performance!

Old 11-13-2008, 12:55 PM
DM

Default RE: Accubond Performance!

ORIGINAL: BarnesX.308

Why are you scratching your head on that one?

7 Rem. mag. at 25 yards= quite high velocity at impact= more bullet expansion = less penetration = no exit wound = very little or no blood loss.

DM
Because, even if the bullet only retained half of its weight, it would still be a 75 grain slug traveling at 3000fps. It should be able to go through a broadside doe.
It doesn't work that way... It no longer is shaped like a bullet, and that = poor penetration nor will it travel in a straight line.

DM
Old 11-14-2008, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Brother-in-law got his bull this year with a 140g 270 WSM and took 1 shot. Bullet hit quartering from the rear to the front and stopped inside the rib cage. I didn't see him clean it out but sounds like the insides were a mess.

My wife got her nice 3x3 muley on Sunday with 1 shot, same bullet. Hit one of the rear ribs and made a fist size hole (strange). The bullet when through the liver and a lung and exited through the rear portion of the front shoulder (not recovered).

I like them a lot and will keep using them until I see something that does a much better job. Not so hard as a Scirocco so they do expand a fair amount, which in my book is good to dump that energy into the animal and not the dirt behind it.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Performance appears adequate, but I would comment that the bullet must have been down to 2200 FPS or less at 325 yards if it left the muzzle at 2750. That is a long way down range!
Old 11-15-2008, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

its my "go to" bullet in my 7mm Allen mag, last time out shot a 5" group at 836 yards, have never recovered one yet, from whitetails from 375-822 yards.
RR
I could not even SEE a deer or an elk at dstances like this, let alone SHOOT at one......
Old 11-15-2008, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

its my "go to" bullet in my 7mm Allen mag, last time out shot a 5" group at 836 yards, have never recovered one yet, from whitetails from 375-822 yards.
RR
I could not even SEE a deer or an elk at dstances like this, let alone SHOOT at one......
Youd be surprised at some of the long range shots people will take that dont realize the capabilties of their rifles. Last hunting season heard 4 consecutive shots a field over from me. I walked over and found a 20 something guy throwin a volley at a deer RUNNING acrossed a field. I said where was he at? he pointed and I got my rangefinder out. Here this guy was shooting a 30-30 at this running deer and I ranged it at 337 yards!!! i just laughed to myself and said to him "yea, im pretty sure you misssed".
Old 11-16-2008, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

RR I ike that positive mindset...it applies to everything.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mossy33oak

RR
Youd be surprised at some of the long range shots people will take that dont realize the capabilties of their rifles. Last hunting season heard 4 consecutive shots a field over from me. I walked over and found a 20 something guy throwin a volley at a deer RUNNING acrossed a field. I said where was he at? he pointed and I got my rangefinder out. Here this guy was shooting a 30-30 at this running deer and I ranged it at 337 yards!!! i just laughed to myself and said to him "yea, im pretty sure you misssed".

Yep, but you would be surprised at the avid hunters who have no idea what a properly tuned and properly set up modern rifle can do.
it takes basic knoledge of ballistics, and some cash but anyone who sets they're mind to it can hit what they aim at at 750 yards. once you convince yourself it ain't that far the rest isn't hard.
RR
your talking about people like you and me who spend hours weekly at the range. Im talking about guys who MIGHT MAYBE sight their rifle in for deer season, some just say, ehh it was dead on 3 years ago when I shot that doe, it shoudl still be good.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:53 PM
Fork Horn

last year I shot a nice 5x5 whitetail from the hip as It ran past me, 7 yards away. I was using a 140 grain Accubond at 3000 fps from my 7 mag, My bullet went in just on the bottom side of the vertabres and out the other side ,small in and smal hole out and one very dead deer about 15 yds away.This year I bumped it up to 3125, this load has taken 9 deer, 5 by me, with outstanding performance so far this fall.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

LOL eldeguello, it isn't that hard, if you've done everything right ya just put the "x" on them. the one at 375 was a head shot though, laying in the nest, head curled up along her side, the 160 entered just below the eye, exited same place on the offside, reentered behind the shoulder, exited the other side.
The hardest part is accepting that 50% of the deer you see that you normaly would take will walk off without you getting a shot, or just disapear from view, if they are against a timbered ridge. from 600 back its pretty simple, just takes about 5 minutes to get set up to shoot.
RR
The longest shot I ever took was at about 425 yards at a white-caped caribou bull on the east fork of the Gulkana River near Denali, Alaska. The 'bou was 125 yards uphill across from a 200-yard-wide lake. I was on the opposite side hill, 100 yards away from the lakeshore opposite the bull. So we adeded up the distances and got 425 yards. Very scientific! In those days, our eyeballs were our rangefinders.

Bull was shot with a 150-grain Sierra flatbnase spitzer @ 3370 FPS from the 308 Norma Magnum. Bullet hit him just in front of his right eye. Bull dressed out about 400 pounds......
Old 11-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bullet hit him just in front of his right eye. Bull dressed out about 400 pounds......
Sounds like someone forgot the windage calculation!!! j/k el

Quick Reply: Accubond Performance!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.