HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   how many rounds do you carry when hunting? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/271562-how-many-rounds-do-you-carry-when-hunting.html)

Big Guy01 11-06-2008 08:03 AM

RE: how many rounds do you carry when hunting?

I have 4 in the gun and 3 in my pockets. the rest of the box are in my pack

gregrn43 11-06-2008 07:41 PM

5 total, some of my guns hold 5 and some 4. when muzzleloading gun loaded and 2 quick loads

bronko22000 11-07-2008 06:53 AM

Usually too many. I don't recall ever needing more than 2 in close to 45 years. And now, with 2 way radios - you don't even need some for the 3 shot emergency signal. But that 3 shot rule is nonsense anyway. I tried it with my bow onec and no one came to help me.

spaniel 11-09-2008 01:13 PM

I asked my pal the same question as we packed up for our second day of the elk hunt. He said 10, so I justified leaving the cartridge wallet in the truck for the day and taking just 10 on my gun. I shot a muley with two and then six more into a bull elk (when they could take off across the mountain, I shoot until they go down!). I felt awfully vulnerable with just 2 rounds left since the elk went down behind a tree and we did not know he was dead for sure...next time I'm taking a few more!

If it were a short walk back to the truck I would not carry that many but 8 miles into back country it matters more.

Pygmy 11-09-2008 01:50 PM

I carry 10 because that's how many my little folding belt cartridge thingy holds...

Back in the boonies I'll carry another five in my pack wrapped in tape..Just in case...

When turkey hunting, I always carry 7... Never need half that many, but that's my lucky number for turkey hunting.....;)....

harter66 11-09-2008 08:42 PM

Wow I'm an over killer . I have a Hunter wallet holds 20 . 4 in my rifle 16 in the case . On some of the hunts I've been on it might take days to get out with just a rolled ankle much less hurt and an over nighter with a kill in cat country , well you get it . I pack 25 when I go out with the SA 45 , 5 and 20 .

eldeguello 11-10-2008 11:16 AM

ORIGINAL: ww874

Just curious, I usually carry 8, 4 in gun and another 4 in a spare magazine.
I carry six. One in my pocket to load the rifle with. Five on a cartridge slide on the buttstock (Ruger No. 1).

Doe Dumper 11-12-2008 11:59 PM

1!!! :DLast name's Fife!!

skb2706 11-13-2008 09:06 AM

Deer hunting on the farm - 2

elk hunting - 10

DM 11-13-2008 06:24 PM

ORIGINAL: ww874

Just curious, I usually carry 8, 4 in gun and another 4 in a spare magazine.
Well, here's what i carry on extended hunts that i may run into anything?? Small game? Big game? birds? Who knows...

The 10 stays in camp, and the ammo carrier goes in my pack. The rest are the same as a day hunt...

For day hunts, like deer hunting, i just carry one in the bbl, and the 5 on the far left... The loose one goes in one pocket, and the 4 go in another pocket...