HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   marking cases (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/270111-marking-cases.html)

ww874 10-26-2008 07:06 PM

marking cases

Anyone have any ideas to differentiate cases. I reload two 7mm/08s and I wanted to keep the cases from each rifle from getting mixed up. I tried using cci primmers in one rifle and remington in the other but naturally i get better accuracy with the rem ington primmers.
I read somewhere to use a marker on the primmer. Any other ideas?

DM 10-26-2008 07:13 PM

RE: marking cases

ORIGINAL: ww874

Anyone have any ideas to differentiate cases. I reload two 7mm/08s and I wanted to keep the cases from each rifle from getting mixed up. I tried using cci primmers in one rifle and remington in the other but naturally i get better accuracy with the rem ington primmers.
I read somewhere to use a marker on the primmer. Any other ideas?
I seperate them into two different MTM boxes, and put the ser. on the box of what gun they are for. I then use them seperately...

I've also bought win brass for one and rem or some other brand for the other... But, mostly i just keep them in two diff boxes...

DM

Pawildman 10-27-2008 06:39 AM

Try magic marker on the case head. It normally won't wear off before the case life is done. Code with different colors.

goatbrother 10-27-2008 07:54 AM

You could use different brand cases for each, or take a file and make a notch in the rim on the bottom of the case, just enough to show but not enough to cut into the extraction groove. Have you compared the fired cases from each to see if the chambers are much different? If they aren't very different it may not make a difference in accuracy.

ww874 10-27-2008 08:19 AM

thanks for the ideas. I was really hoping the silver colored cci's would do the trick but they seemed to make a noticeable difference in accuracy when compared to the same load with rem primmers. I like the idea about marking the case head

bronko22000 10-27-2008 04:49 PM

I load for 2 different 7-08s and 2 30-06s. These rifles do not shoot the same load. (i.e: one 7-08 prefers 139 gr Hornadys while the other like 150 gr W-Ws). Also, My bolt action 223 uses a std resizing die and my AR15 requires a small base die. I keep their respectiveloads in separately marked 50 round MTM boxes.

skb2706 10-30-2008 09:24 AM

Blue or red spray Dychem works well and its easy, dries fast.

BlackLab 11-05-2008 09:31 AM

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

Try magic marker on the case head. It normally won't wear off before the case life is done. Code with different colors.

Remnard 11-09-2008 04:05 PM

I use a sharpie on mine if I want to mark them. You can also use some red fingernail polish. Just wipe it around the primer/brass interface, then wipe the rest off. It will waterproof the cartridge also.

harter66 11-09-2008 08:48 PM

I use Sharpies black blue &red .I color case heads . I also use it for differant loads for 1 gun .I load 3 38's 2 357's 4 30-06's only 1 of the 06's gives me any trouble so that brass is separated.