Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 big mistake what to do >

big mistake what to do

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

big mistake what to do

Old 11-11-2008, 08:41 PM

Default RE: big mistake what to do

Although I do agree that that can of powder may have been usable it would have been better to discuss it thru a P.M. rather than on this open board!
Case in point, the new reloader asking questions in the same thread; what have we just taught him? Is it really ok to use a contaminated can of powder?
What if someone new to reloading were to be reading this and accidentially mixed his bullseye and H110 in a significant quantity, and recalled reading this thread. They might not grasp the hugh difference in burning rate and could seriously injure themselves.
Guys I don't mean to sound as if I'm lectureing you, just to remind that we don't know who our audience is.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

What type of powder seems to be preferred for consistency and accuracy for the .243 and 8mm?
Not sure about the .243, but its very hard to do better than IMR 4064 in the 8x57.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:19 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: ww874

Thats what was so frustrating I was paying a great detail of attention to what I was doing. I'm usually pretty good but, oh well. As for safety, even though I agree the little bit I mixed wasn't that much, my lawn just got a $30 fertilizing[:@]. Hopefully lesson learned and thanks for all the replies.
30 bucks? Where do you buy powder? I just bought 7 or 8 pounds it it was 19.99 each/
Old 11-12-2008, 04:23 AM
Typical Buck

I had a buddy do that and he was loading pistol and then went to 223. It was a brand new winchester featherweight gun. When he shot the first round it blew the top of the receiver off. He took it back to the store and they (winchester)gave him a new one. THen he traded the new one for a ruger and blew that up! He then realized what had happened. Talk about closing the barn door after the cows got out!
Old 11-12-2008, 06:05 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: NE Hunter

safe practice ..... not really!!
Whats not safe about putting a larger slower powder into a faster powder container? With 4350, you can use any max load of 4064 out there for anycartridge and not be over pressure.

I mean its good practice to toss it.But I woudln't go as far to say unsafe. The only situation I could see it being unsafe would be like H110 mixed with HP38 or unique. H110 needs alot of pressure. But for rifle anything loaded over 40KPSI would go boom.
I believe everyone that reloads knows or should know that mixing powder (accidentally or intentional) is BAD news. The man did the right thing and will keep the roof on his rifle and the gleam in his eye for it. Underloading (squib load)a rifle is just as dangerous as overloading one.

Leave the mixing to the chemist at the powder company and the shooter at the bench.
You did good... IMO.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:17 PM
Spike

Wow great replies. Like I said it really wasn't alot of powder mixed but I believe I did the right thing. As for $30 bucks, well thats what I get for living in a very unfriendly shooting area (LI NY). Fortunately made a cabelas trip and price was much more reasonable. One day I'll live in a part of the country that didn't vote for Obama by 2 to 1. Until then i'm stuck.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:53 PM

Try Alabama, we went for McCain-Palan!
Old 11-14-2008, 09:54 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

Although I do agree that that can of powder may have been usable it would have been better to discuss it thru a P.M. rather than on this open board!
Case in point, the new reloader asking questions in the same thread; what have we just taught him? Is it really ok to use a contaminated can of powder?
What if someone new to reloading were to be reading this and accidentially mixed his bullseye and H110 in a significant quantity, and recalled reading this thread. They might not grasp the hugh difference in burning rate and could seriously injure themselves.
Guys I don't mean to sound as if I'm lectureing you, just to remind that we don't know who our audience is.

fornra, no offense, but ifa reloader came here to learn how to reload, then he shouldn't be reloading. If he came here to get started, thats another thing.

People ask questions here, and we give our advise. If someone is so stupid enough to not read a reloading manual, and mixes up bullseye, then sooner or later he is going to hurt himself. Anyone that dumb, we can't control.

The guy asked a question and we answered. Its a fairly simple process. I don't mean to sound like I am lecturing you, but this gets rather old on here.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:55 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: ElkNutz

ORIGINAL: NE Hunter

safe practice ..... not really!!
Whats not safe about putting a larger slower powder into a faster powder container? With 4350, you can use any max load of 4064 out there for anycartridge and not be over pressure.

I mean its good practice to toss it.But I woudln't go as far to say unsafe. The only situation I could see it being unsafe would be like H110 mixed with HP38 or unique. H110 needs alot of pressure. But for rifle anything loaded over 40KPSI would go boom.
I believe everyone that reloads knows or should know that mixing powder (accidentally or intentional) is BAD news. The man did the right thing and will keep the roof on his rifle and the gleam in his eye for it. Underloading (squib load)a rifle is just as dangerous as overloading one.

Leave the mixing to the chemist at the powder company and the shooter at the bench.
You did good... IMO.
IMO, it sounds as if you don't understand what he mixed or burn charts. Just my opinion.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO, it sounds as if you don't understand what he mixed or burn charts. Just my opinion.
Ya see, thats why you get a bad rep. You always gotta be sayin mean stuff to people. If this guy shows up at your door dont go callin me to come protect ya. [X(]

Quick Reply: big mistake what to do

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.