Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 big mistake what to do >

big mistake what to do

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

big mistake what to do

Old 10-25-2008, 09:36 PM
Spike

Default big mistake what to do

I just spend several hours very carefully making up some ammo. I made the first batch with 4064 then put the can away. This is a one pound can and it's new and full.(I combined what was left of the previous can of 4064 into it so it's right up to the top. Then I took out a container of H4350 and filled my powder dispenser using the funnel. I then realized I had some 4064 left in my tricklerso I took the can of 4064 out and took the funnel off my dispenser. Nothing fell out so I put the funnel into the can of 4064 and as i got ready to pour the remaining powder from my trickler into the can I realized there must have been a blockage in my funnel and it still had small amount ofH4350 in it.As I took the funnelout of the can a small amount of H4350 dropped out into the can of 4064. Question is my new can of 4064 contaminated or is it still usable? I estimate no more than 25 grains(probably less) fell into the can.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:50 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: big mistake what to do

Do you mean H4895? Never heard of H4850. If it was me, I would just shake the can well and move on.

If it is 4895, then its fairly simular to 4064. What I mean is, its not bullseye or unique.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:38 AM
Spike

I meant to type 4350, and I edited it this morning. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
Nevermind, it's fertilizer now.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with BC - 4350 is a slower burning powder than 4064 and the small amount of 4350 that you inadvertantly mixed with 4064 should be no hazard. I would, as BC suggest, mix the container well so this minimal amount is dispersed thoughout the can.
Reloading is serious business and major accidents can happen if you are not paying attention to every detail. Absolutely no distractions. Consider yourself lucky this time.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the other guys.... should be no problem at the amounts you stated if it was mixed well....it is however, a situation that is to be avoided at all costs. Inadvertant powder mixings/switchings are bad news at best. Luckily, a lesson learned with no bad results THIS time......
Old 10-26-2008, 09:46 AM
Spike

Thats what was so frustrating I was paying a great detail of attention to what I was doing. I'm usually pretty good but, oh well. As for safety, even though I agree the little bit I mixed wasn't that much, my lawn just got a $30 fertilizing[:@]. Hopefully lesson learned and thanks for all the replies.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:26 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: ww874

Thats what was so frustrating I was paying a great detail of attention to what I was doing. I'm usually pretty good but, oh well. As for safety, even though I agree the little bit I mixed wasn't that much, my lawn just got a $30 fertilizing[:@]. Hopefully lesson learned and thanks for all the replies.
Seriously?? You thru it out? With IMR4350, its slower burning, so you wasn't in any danger.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:21 PM
Typical Buck

Well, you did the safe thing. But like the others have said it most likely wasn't enough to cause trouble but to loose $30 is better than loosing a gun and your eye if things did go wrong. The powder companies and reloading manuals all caution against mixing powders, even if like you are doing, emptying one can into another of the same type of powder, there are differences between lots of powder so even if it is the same powder from the same company the lots can and are different to some extent. So what I'm saying is it's not a great idea to mix powder, keep it in the original can.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

safe practice ..... not really!! I was taught to NEVER combine powders even if they are the same type. The only exception here is if they are form the same lot number. It's even "recommended" that when you open a new can of powder to rework up the load just to make sure there isn't a dramatic change form one lot to the other.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:11 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: NE Hunter

safe practice ..... not really!!
Whats not safe about putting a larger slower powder into a faster powder container? With 4350, you can use any max load of 4064 out there for anycartridge and not be over pressure.

I mean its good practice to toss it.But I woudln't go as far to say unsafe. The only situation I could see it being unsafe would be like H110 mixed with HP38 or unique. H110 needs alot of pressure. But for rifle anything loaded over 40KPSI would go boom.

Quick Reply: big mistake what to do

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.