Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Sizing new brass >

Sizing new brass

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Sizing new brass

Old 10-25-2008, 03:55 PM
Spike

Default Sizing new brass

Hopefully this is an easy question. I just bought 100 pieces of 7mm rifle brass. I trimmed them and deburred the flash hole. My question is Do I need to run the brass through my resizing die? I'm pretty sure I don't have to but I figured I'd ask before I prime them. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sizing new brass

ORIGINAL: ww874

Hopefully this is an easy question. I just bought 100 pieces of 7mm rifle brass. I trimmed them and deburred the flash hole. My question is Do I need to run the brass through my resizing die? I'm pretty sure I don't have to but I figured I'd ask before I prime them. Thanks for the input.
I ALWAYS resize any brass before I do anything else to them. Even brand-new brass often has some dents, and the necks in particular can get out-of-round, needing to be put thru the die first.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

ORIGINAL: ww874

I ALWAYS resize any brass before I do anything else to them. Even brand-new brass often has some dents, and the necks in particular can get out-of-round, needing to be put thru the die first.
+1

I've had unsized new brass get stuck in the chamber or not go in at all. I ALWAYS size new brass now.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Spike

Thanks for the quick post. Took your advice, 100 cases went real fast.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:51 PM
bigcountry

Its a good practice to resize them new. I can't say I have always done it.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:15 AM
bigcountry

Just to add to this post. I end up usually haveing to size because of dented mouth cases, necks don't have enough tension, etc. You get your best accuracy on the second fire IMO.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

That's true, I always resize my new brass. I often get brass in bulk and many of the case mouth are deformed. Another reason is that uniformity is a major factor in accuracy. Running them through your sizing die will make all your cases the same.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:53 PM
DM

In the thousands of rounds of new brass i've loaded, i've always just ran the expander ball through the necks, never resizeing the whole case. In all those cases, i've yet to have even one problem.

DM
Old 10-28-2008, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do exactly what DM expresses. Good luck.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do the same as DM and handloader...

Quick Reply: Sizing new brass

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.