) and for some reason, I can't find any decent 180 grain bullets around here for my 06', so I'm wondering if reloading may be my best bet. I can get one of these kits cheap ($15), and since the gun is second hand, I know the loads..." />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Classic Lee Loader >

Classic Lee Loader

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Classic Lee Loader

Old 08-28-2008, 11:41 AM

Default RE: Classic Lee Loader

Guess you missed my point........
Old 08-28-2008, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

Great way to get started, But you ll soon get the bug & end up with a press & all the other asseceries. I started on one with a 45/70. It worked OK, I was getting descent groups with it.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:52 PM

Can't think of a better back up when a loading bench isn't anywhere close towithin' normal reach of infastructure and utilities.

Lightweight, easy to pack, easy to use next to a warmingfire....not talking about lounging aroundyour everyday plush guided elkhunt campeither.

'Course lotsa folkscan't think along those lines..............
Old 08-28-2008, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, well I think I might get it then, try it out, and see what how it goes I'm in Thunder Bay, Ontario
Old 08-28-2008, 08:11 PM
Spike

I have to agree TH Lee loader is an excellent low buck way to get into reloading , its a little slow going at first but once you get the hang of it not to bad . of course I dont use mine much anymore but they do have a place in one of my "bags" on a hunt away from home as an emergency . I now just like several guys on here have 4 presses set up in my reloading room. But you gotta start somewhere so if you are interested in improving your accuracy and performance of you rifle I would say buy the Lee loader , but it will cost you more after you buy powder and bullets ( I got a box of nosler partitions for my 8mm for abot 40 bucks I think) and you will need a little poly headed hammer . As I recall they come with a powder measure "thingy" lol
Old 08-29-2008, 02:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I might have to get me one...I only shoot one centerfire and have thought about reloading for years, just didn't have the space for a bench and once I started adding up all the goodies, I decided it just wasn't worth it to me...

Old 08-30-2008, 04:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started reloading with one of these in .243 in a Rem.model 788 many moons ago.That thing made some of the most,if not the mostaccurate rounds ever put through that gun.

Pros:
inexpensive,can take anywhere,very accurate(in my case),only neck sizes brass,very handy if you are on a hunt some where isolated and can not buy ammo.Also you can whip out a box (20 ) of rounds in just a little while.

Cons:
no scales (The powder dipper is pretty good if you can repeat),have to have one for each caliber.But for $20.00 who cares.Limited to one paticular load.

JMHO but as stated above I think every reloader should have one for every caliber that they own just in case.If you buy a complete set of the lee powder dippers you can experiment at home and get the right combination for different loads in the field,But then you would have to resight the rifle.
The worse thing for me in the beginning was the thought of beating on a bullet with a hammer[]........LOL Go ahead and get one you just might be surprized at the results.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was planning to get a powder trickler and a scale...
Old 09-13-2008, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

I had one given to me for my .270. I liked it. I bought a used balance. and was able to get some very accurate loads. I am now using one for my .308. I don't shoot gobs of ammo, and don't mind sitting up in my shop with the radio on, and punching out some rounds. Now that I have the two bullet weights and powder charges figured out, I punched out 40rounds in about an hour. That is all I need, and for $20 I am loading shells that give me 1" groups with 165s and 1.25 groups with 1560s. Good enough for my hunting and practice needs.