Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Problem with Lee collet necksizer die... >

Problem with Lee collet necksizer die...

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Problem with Lee collet necksizer die...

Old 08-23-2008, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default Problem with Lee collet necksizer die...

I just bought a Lee deluxe die set in 7mm Rem. Mag. As many of you may or may not know, it has a full length sizer dieand a collet neck sizer die. I have an RCBS press and I have followed the instructionsLee provided for using this die with my press, and I can't get it to size worth a squat. My bullets are 140 grain accubonds and they can be inserted and removed with my hands. The instructions say that you can order a smaller sized collet for a tighter bullet fit, but damn you'd at least expect it to do better than that!! Do any of you guys have any experience with this die from Lee??
Old 08-23-2008, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Problem with Lee collet necksizer die...

You can take the stem out and put it in a drill and with a piece of emery cloth take it down .001.
I use the collect die with about all my calibers and have had to do this with most of them.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Herman, I'll have to give that a try if I want to be able to use it as it is.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:18 PM
bigcountry

I have had to resize my collets in 70% of my lee dies. You just want to make sure you don't go too far.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:47 PM
Typical Buck

They make their dies to "work" with every type of brass out there. Some brass will be harder than others and will require moresqueeze than the next one. By polishing the stem you can get the die to work with the brass that you are using. Switch brands, and it it might be too tight.

I'd be interested in knowing which brand of brass you are using.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:05 AM
Fork Horn

It's actually winchester nickel brass, but I also tried some winchester regular brass and it did the same thing.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:52 AM

Ihad this exact same thing happen andI just returned the dies for some rcbs ones.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:33 PM
Fork Horn

I'm glad I didn't send them back, I turned the mandrel down with some emory cloth today and it worked just fine. I loaded some test loads using the new hogdon H100 Hybrid V and got my best group since I started back loading last year. A little under 3/4 inch at 100 yards, 3 shot group.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

Oh, in case anyone is interested in the new Hybrid 100 V, I'll also add that recoil was noticably less than the RL 19, wich is the only other powder I've tried so far. And the RL 19 was 2 grains below max, and my best group with the 100 V was at max with hardly any recoil at all. By the way, this is an old model m-77 ruger in 7 mag. with a pachmayr recoil pad.