HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Load suggestions for Remington 760 30-06. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/258212-load-suggestions-remington-760-30-06-a.html)

TUK101 08-17-2008 12:23 PM

Load suggestions for Remington 760 30-06.

I picked up a pump action Remington 760 30-06 and shot it with some Remington Core Lokt 165gr bullets yesterday and it shot reasonably well. I was told by the older gentleman that sold me the gun that small base sizing dies are the way to go with this gun, so a set of those will be sought after. He also mentioned that 165gr bullets where pretty close to the limits of the gun because of the clip. What I am wondering now are some of your old pet loads for this gun? I will be using this gun for the occasional Elk hunt, and maybe some backwoods beat the brush deer hunting. Also, if anybody has some 30-06 brass to spare, I would be happy to throw a few bucks your way for the trouble. Thanks for any help.

Mountaineer93 08-17-2008 12:52 PM

RE: Load suggestions for Remington 760 30-06.

Yes you should use the Small Base Dies to full length resize the brass to ensure proper feeding.

What distances are you usually shooting at? This will help determine the bullet to use. If it is going to be 100 yds or so look at Nosler Partitions. It is a good deer and elk bullet. If you are shooting a hair further look at AccuBonds or TSX. All of the above can be used in a Magazine as long as they are not long than the COAL listed in the loading manual.

In this neck of the woods I load Ballistic Tips over IMR 4350 for Deer in my Rem 700 30-06.

Good luck.

bronko22000 08-17-2008 02:19 PM

My friend is a devote 30-06 fanatic. He has 2 760s in this chambering. and neither one requires a small based die. Like RR said - if you have access to a FL sizing die, give it a try.
Between his 3 '06s and mine - each of them shoot 49 gr of IMR4064 under a 180 gr bullet. Manufacturer does not seem to matter much as Hornady, Sierra and Barnes shoot well. With the Sierra Game Kings having a slight edge over the other 2.

HEAD0001 08-17-2008 03:08 PM

I have a 30-06 carbine pump model. I do use the small base dies, but I do not doubt what the other posters have said. I just happened to have the SB dies, so that is what I use. I shoot the 200 grain sierra Game King in my rifle. I do not have any magazine problems with the Sierra bullet, and it is truly a hard hitting package. I consider it a woods rifle, but shots to 250 or 300 yards is not a problem. Look real close at the big bullets, the 30-06 likes them, so let the "big dog eat". And I know you have heard me say this before, but don't waste your money on those expensive bullets. The 200 grain Sierra can hanldle it all(IMO) for a lot less money. And IMO they are more accurate(just my experience).

The 200 grain bullet comes out of my 18-1/2 carbine barrel at 2500 fps. You can use any of the traditional 30-06 powders. The "06" is not very finicky. However I have been getting good velocity out of RL22 with 165 grain bullets in my other "06's". Tom.

skybuster20ga 08-17-2008 05:44 PM

i have several and reload some for it but mine are just iron sighted and i shoot factorey rem core lokt 180 round nose and they shoot better then i can and work really good. have for decades!

TUK101 08-17-2008 06:57 PM

Thanks for all the feedback guys. My shots are all typically under 200 yards, with most being under 100.

Berserker 07-21-2017 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by TUK101 (Post 2894693)
I picked up a pump action Remington 760 30-06 and shot it with some Remington Core Lokt 165gr bullets yesterday and it shot reasonably well. I was told by the older gentleman that sold me the gun that small base sizing dies are the way to go with this gun, so a set of those will be sought after. He also mentioned that 165gr bullets where pretty close to the limits of the gun because of the clip. p.

I use standard Lee dies. I have only shot 180s. Partions, corlockts, and interlocks. For me the partions have done the best. I wasn't getting as good of groups with hornady interlocks. Corlocts were just factory loads.

Old thread. But I keep hearing about small base dies. No idea what they are to be honest. Other myth I read about is poor accuracy. I have mine handloaded to 1". It does heat up, have to stop after 2nd shot, if you are looking for grouping. Which may be where this myth came from.

Topgun 3006 07-21-2017 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Berserker (Post 4311315)
I use standard Lee dies. I have only shot 180s. Partions, corlockts, and interlocks. For me the partions have done the best. I wasn't getting as good of groups with hornady interlocks. Corlocts were just factory loads.

Old thread. But I keep hearing about small base dies. No idea what they are to be honest. Other myth I read about is poor accuracy. I have mine handloaded to 1". It does heat up, have to stop after 2nd shot, if you are looking for grouping. Which may be where this myth came from.

Seeing as this thread you brought up is 9 years old you might want to know that of the above members there is only one that is still active on the site. As far as what a small base die is, all you need to do is a simple google search and you'll find what you want to know. What do you mean that you handload to 1"? From what it sounds you may want to do some reading BEFORE you do any more loading on the bench after reading the comment after that 1" statement!

Berserker 09-26-2018 09:54 AM

Something interesting happened to me this weekend.. Shot and then my jacket got caught in slide. I got it free but threw me off getting ready for 2nd shot

had a love hate with this rifle. Retired for 15 years after ftf when I racked quietly one morning. Took it back out removed the barrel and put new o ring to get rid of the rattle.

hardcastonly 09-27-2018 04:46 AM

your rifle may or may not like this, load but many of the guys I hunt elk with love the 760/7600 slide action 30/06 and Ive hand loaded ,
speer 200 grain bullets, over a 215 federal primer and 47 grains of ww760
https://www.speer-ammo.com/bullets/r...00-hcsp-bullet

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=30-06%20Springfield&Weight=All&type=rifle&Source

its important to seat the bullets to the max length the magazine allows, most of the guys sight the rifles to hit 3.5" high at 100 yards
that puts the zero at about 225 yards and its about 7" low at 300, certainly flat enough to hunt elk, most of the guys like the potential for a quick second or third shot, but few need one.