Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Accubond or TBBC???? >

Accubond or TBBC????

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Accubond or TBBC????

Old 08-06-2008, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default Accubond or TBBC????

Hi guys-

I'm going for elk this fall and will be using my 270 weatherby magnum. I was wondering if there are dramatic differences in penetration and accuracy for the nosler accubond bullet and the Trophy Bonded Bearclaw?

I'll be forced to buy factory ammo this year, as I don't have time to tinker with different loads. My options are Federal premium ammo or Weatherby.

Thanks
Old 08-06-2008, 11:04 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Accubond or TBBC????

TBBC's penetrate great. But they copper foul a bore worse than any bullet tried. They arenot great foraccuracy. And usually, you won't be able to get too good of velocity out of them.

I go with the accubonds hands down.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with BC. Plus the Bear Claw's are damn expensive compared to the Noslers(at least in component form...have not bought factory for many moons).

I'd buy a box of 140 Accubonds and go kill stuff.

Good luck,

Brett
Old 08-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys. I had a nice load made up with the accubonds, but a newborn will limit my time at the range, plus I'm out of weatherby brass. Is a 400 yard shot reasonable? My data show about a 15" drop at that distance.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

I would strongly recommend looking into the 150 grain offerings with that cartridge. I does very well with heavier bullets. The accubond has a great BC for its weight but the 150 NP is very close in BC and the muzzle velocities are almost identical. Weatherby claims 3300 FPS which is probably too optimistic.3150 to 3200 is probably real world from a 26" barrel and that is still not too shaby. I would personally feel more confident with the added terminal performance of the 150 NP. I would not use the TBBC due to the poorBC limiting your range a bit and I have been told that the TBBC foul quickley especially at high velocities.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

.270 Weatherby is an ample enough cal,to take an elk at 400yrds.
So long as it is hitin hit in the vitals, it will die.
It probably not go far, but it maybe hard to find cause they do take punishment.
Your tracking skillsshould also determine weather or not you shoot probably more so than caliber you choose.
And maybe think of a other scenarios such as rivers, thick heavy alder that are close by that elk may reach before it succumbs to the injury.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

We don't know if a 400yd shot is reasonable for you. You need to shoot at that range and become proficient. Your Wby will handle 400 without a doubt though.

Brett
Old 08-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Fork Horn

That's what I meant Brett... I know that the capability of a rifle is only part of the equation. Nothing replaces time at the range, practicing different situations/yardages. We owe it to the animals we hunt to end it quickly.

I've never shot an elk with anything other than a bow, so I was wondering the effective killing range of my rifle.
Thanks
Old 08-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: jjwillie

Thanks guys. I had a nice load made up with the accubonds, but a newborn will limit my time at the range, plus I'm out of weatherby brass. Is a 400 yard shot reasonable? My data show about a 15" drop at that distance.
I figure 1500 ft-lbs energy is the lower limit. This would be conservative, my state only requires 1700 at the muzzle. So whatever yardage your bullet drops below 1500 ft-lbs is your max range for killing power.

I use 1000 ft-lbs for deer.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with Weatherby Ammo .270 150 gr. Nosler Partition. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Accubond or TBBC????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.