Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

ttsx barnes

Old 08-05-2008, 08:42 PM

Default ttsx barnes

friend is loading 140grn ttsx for my 280 rem. has anyone used these bullets in their 280 ,270, 3006 or similarammo for deer. I haveherd they are very accurate and hold together well. we havent shot any yet and will start approx 3100 fps.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ttsx barnes

I've been using them since they first came on the market , no complaints here .
Old 08-06-2008, 04:22 AM
Fork Horn

The only rip against X-bullets from the beginning is the copper deposits...The coated XLC's solved the vast majority of the problem for most rifles, myself personally I just "DANZACed" them and solved the problem completely. The TSS's just have less bearing surface, the actual amount of the bullet that touches the barrel surface, I don't know if it's a different chemical makeup or formula but it seems to work well, I wonder how much a coated TSS would do.. I know one thing for sure, you want penetration, IT's impossible to beat the X-bullet, I've never heard of a failure from anyone on anything.. I guess technology has improved to the point where they shoot as good as any other bullet..after all, we are shooting at a volleyball sized kill zone !!!!
Old 08-06-2008, 05:06 AM

Barrel quality hasmore to do with fouling than whether or not it'sa Barnesbullet.

Adding the grooves to the TSX solved the problem for the bad barrel users and gave the rest of us more speed, a win/win on both sides.

The plastic tip on the TTSX might improve things past 600 yards per "accuracy" but for the normal range hunter it isn't going to give any more stellar performance than the TSX already does.

There's some talk about the plastic tip providing a better level of expansion as the resulting cavity in the bullet is larger than the TSX, but improving uponnear perfection is a tall order, and we'll have to see what the TTSX user can wring out of them over the course of time.

The key to success with Barnes Bullets is matching the bullet to the need. With them, pure grain weight isn't the hinging factor for killing. Lighter, and often smaller caliber,in most cases, with Barnes, is better..........
Old 08-06-2008, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

I'm runnin TTSX 140's @ 3280fps out of my 7RM for bear and elkies this year. You won't have to worry about them holding together....just know your backstop cause you'll be gettin two holes.

Brett
Old 08-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I plan on using the 150 gr TTSX in my custom .300 Win Mag Sako this coming season on whitetail deer. I haven't loaded any yet, but hope to soon.

I've had great luck with the 168 gr. TSX ina .300 Wby and in this .300 Win. The 140 gr. version worked especiallywell in a 7mmMag.

Consideringthey retain practically 100% of their weight,I don't see theneed for using the 168 gr. any more, that is as long as the 150 gr. is just as accurate.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

I concur with Loony. I will be tough to improve on near perfection. I used 150 gr TSX from my 7mm Rem Mag last season for the first time and the results were quite impressive. 3 deer were hit right at the aimpoint at distances of 70 yds, 135 yds and 230 yds and all dropped on the spot and all passed through completely. I have been on the fence still this year with wanting to try the tippedTSX but I just cant get myself to try it after the results with the standard TSX. How much difference could there actually be?
Old 08-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Fork Horn

not much if any....but they look better!
Old 08-06-2008, 01:47 PM

thanks for the input ,we are going with the ttsx for the better expansion control,
ever thing seems positive
now we test !
Old 08-06-2008, 02:16 PM

Is the better expansion control thing proven over theTSX?

Me thinks it's just a marketing ploy to the general populous, along with a serious gainfor the extreme long range shooters, though that be a somewhat limiteddemographic.

An attempt to get a slice of the tipped pie, so to speak.

That said I'm a die hard TSX user, and until they stop making them, will always be...........

Quick Reply: ttsx barnes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.