Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Question about manuals... >

Question about manuals...

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Question about manuals...

Old 06-17-2008, 11:03 PM
Spike

Default Question about manuals...

I was wondering if the way they list the choice of powders for a specific caliber in the reloading manuals has a certain meaning, since they list several different powders for each bullet, and caliber? I am thinking of getting into reloading, and was looking at a Hornady manual, and it is very confusing as to which powder to use. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question about manuals...

Each manual will list the powders in different order, for instance the Speer manual lists the powders by fastest velocity to lowest. As for the rest I have seen no rhyme or reason for the order of how they are listed. Typically I'll try to use a powder that can be used for other applications as well, like say IMR 4350, I can use it in the 257, 6.5x55, 30-06, 270 wsm, H4831 30-06, 270wsm, w748, just about anything that I load for. IMR 4064 and RE19 are about the same too. Right now I have re19, h380, I4350, i4064 and w748 for my rifle loads. For pistol its w296, w231 and unique. If I can't find a load for anything I shoot with one of them then I may as well give up. What are you planning on loading for?
Old 06-18-2008, 07:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Brad Kilgore

I was wondering if the way they list the choice of powders for a specific caliber in the reloading manuals has a certain meaning, since they list several different powders for each bullet, and caliber? I am thinking of getting into reloading, and was looking at a Hornady manual, and it is very confusing as to which powder to use. Any help will be appreciated.
That's a good question, and I think the answer is "some do, some don't".

For example, in the newest edition of the Speer Manual that I have, they say they list the powder that gave them the highest velocity first, the second highest next, etc. However, looking at previous Speer manuals, I don't find this to be true of the older ones.

Inother brands of manuals, I think some may be (generally!!) in order of relative quickness or slow powders first, etc. But other manuals don't seem to have any pattern to the order in which powders are listed at all. I am not saying there is none, but I can't detect it if it is there!! And othermanuals don't give any explanation of the order in which powders are listed.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another point to consider....has nothing to do with the order in which powders are listed, but it is this....Reloading manuals put out by bullet manufacturers most always give loading info only for the bullets THEY produce. In other words, don't look for loading info for Sierra bullets in a Hornaday manual, etc. The Lyman manual (and I think the 28th edition is current) gives info for various manufacurers bullets per cartridge. Most reloaders have plenty of manufacturer's manuals just for this reason, but it's hard to keep updated sometimes with all the new products coming out. The Lyman is a good general knowledge source and I feel is well worth having.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:10 AM
Fork Horn

Hodgdon usually lists their loads in order of the burn rate of the powder.

I recommend the Hodgdon annual manual. It is in magazine form. It has loads from Hodgdon, IMR, and Winchester powders. It costs less than 10 bucks.

It is basically the same data as on the website, so you can get the data for free if you are cheap like me. There are usually some interesting articles in there though, so I think it is worth buying a copy.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Spike

Thanks for the replies guys.I will be loading for 30-06, 308, 7mm mag., and 45-70.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is hard to comment about manuals. I looked at some manuals after I read your question. I have a couple of dozen manuals. There is no one way that they list their powders.

When I choose a powder I look for complete case fill. IMO the better your case fill, the better your accuracy. My SD on my MV's are lower with better case fill. I believe case fill gives day in day out consistent ignition and burning.

It is true that case fill costs a little more(burning more powder). But I have never considered cutting corners for my reloads(IMO).

Some shooter's try to use one powder for more than one cartridge. This can be done. But it is not on my radar when I choose a powder for a cartridge. I use what I think will be best for consistent ignition and case fill. Tom.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Lyman 48th edition is the most current at this time for Lyman. I have it and it is my favorite of all the manuals I have.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have several hardcopy manuals by different bullet manufacturers (e.g. Hornady, Nosler, Speer) and the annual Hodgdon publication. Before starting to load any new cartridge, bullet type, weight, etc. I compare each to get an understanding of where the mid-range of the publications for a given powder, bullet type/weight are. I too look for powders that both give me options to use for several pistol or rifle calibers, if possible. Also, I look for powders that give more range of velocity you can possibly load up to, if I decide to down the road.
Also, some manuals (e.g. Nosler) give those powders names/numbers and loads that were most accurate in their test firing results.
Read carefully which ever manual(s) you decide to use. Check and recheck everything you do. And as every reloading manual always says,"never exceed recommended loads" for the caliber you're loading for.