Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Gas-checks

Old 06-13-2008, 08:32 PM

Default RE: Gas-checks

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

If gas blows past the bullet base, it tends to melt the base and sides of the bullet, depositing moltenlead behind it on the surfaces of the bore. In addition, any damage to the bullet base has a serious detrimental effect on accuracy!

Gas Checks then, areout of the question, despite being designed to neutralize that issue...

Laffin'.......
Old 06-13-2008, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

To answer the thing that lives under a bridge...

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: Briman

crimped on hornady gas checks do giv more accurate loads [/blockquote]

Mmm...maybe 'cause it's a better seal and leads less??

Wewouldn't want that in .45LC +P loadswould we......
Has nothing to do with leading but more to do with making a nice square base- the same thing you get with pistol bullets without gaschecks.

So a GC on those 9mm bullets to fend a poor seal wouldn't have helped.....interesting. Whyo WAS talking about "hard cast", which is typically quite, how would you put it.....HARD.
Nope, gaschecks would simply treating a symptom and not the disease. Too hard = leading.

I run hard cast GC'd in my LC to facilitate maximum penetration via maximum velocityfor which the bullets purpose denotes....which is likely bustin' through a lot of bone structure before it reaches anything gooey should the need for a sidearm arise. For such needs I'd not even consider soft lead....and I'm guessin' Whyo wouldn't either.
Something as hard as W/Ws is plenty hard to bust bones, and it will expand a bit to boot.

Now that right there is some funny stuff. Anyone with a lick of casting sense knows a slugged barrelyields barrel dimensions, andcasting + minimal sizing to groove dimensionssports least leading and best accuracy...
That's what the books might say, but experience is otherwise.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:32 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Rifle Loony

Laffin'.......

grin grin

wow, I know another poster on other forums several years agoI used to talk too that used to always use these little things like "laffin and grin". Stick might think your a little disciple if you keep trying to be him. grin...

Old 06-14-2008, 04:41 AM

I know Stick, and everyone else who uses the same stuff, in similar fashion....you were invited over to hang out but declined, as I recall. Grinnin' and laffin' is just part of Life, it's a shame you take yourself too seriously tolaugh and grin. 'Course you do put those stupidlittle sideways "smiles" and "laughs" at the end of something, that were sooooo cute and original.....if you are a third grader.

Didn't you "say" somethingto me in another post about adding anything of value to the discussion? Wonderin' here what my writing style, or how close it is to someone else's, has to do with Gas Checked lead bullets. Seems your only defense at times like these is to just be a complete jerk off topic.............(pun there, if you can see it).

(Stick uses lots of dots too........and puns, just like I do)

Laffin'........
Old 06-14-2008, 04:45 AM

Briman....

Am glad here that I don't live in your world or walk your path...

Good luck with that........
Old 06-14-2008, 05:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Gaschecks are hard. They don't expand on firing, so an undersize gascheck bullet is as bad as one made with a plain base when it comes to leading. The name "gascheck" was given to these little slivers of copper more in the hope that they would prevent gas blowing past the bullet than from their actual performance along this line! A Wonder Wad or fiber disc wad on top of the powder does just as good a job at this function, or better!

I am talking about what has worked well for me. If it doesn't work for YOU,shin loi!!
Old 06-14-2008, 06:07 AM

Slugging a barrel and sizing accordingly yeilds a correct GC fit.

Good seal, good velocity, good accuracy,less leading...all frosting on the cake.

'Tis a no brainer.............
Old 06-14-2008, 06:51 AM
bigcountry

I know Stick, and everyone else who uses the same stuff, in similar fashion....you were invited over to hang out but declined, as I recall. Grinnin' and laffin' is just part of Life, it's a shame you take yourself too seriously tolaugh and grin. 'Course you do put those stupidlittle sideways "smiles" and "laughs" at the end of something, that were sooooo cute and original.....if you are a third grader.

Didn't you "say" somethingto me in another post about adding anything of value to the discussion? Wonderin' here what my writing style, or how close it is to someone else's, has to do with Gas Checked lead bullets. Seems your only defense at times like these is to just be a complete jerk off topic.............(pun there, if you can see it).

(Stick uses lots of dots too........and puns, just like I do)

Laffin'........
Well, you got respect larry. He has always done that stuff on any website he has been too. I never really like the foul language but he always did his own thing. He never really follows one's lead. But there has always been little following that would always try to emulate him. Sorry to hijack this thread, I just thought it was rather comical how good you play follow the leader.

I wouldn't mind posting over there, but it appears no one really cares about white-tail,moose, andboar and most important archery but just blacktail, and bears. I hunt neither. And its really slow over there. What is there, 10 posts a week?

Ok, back on about gas checks. Glad to see you contribute the first time, it was refreshing and new to see you try to help. Hopefully that trend will continue instead of the usual smug jerk NYer.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:11 AM

Hailing from MD ain't much of a stroke either, but you keep believing what you want to about Upstate, as that's the way we want it....it keeps the riff raff out.

Laffin'...........
Old 06-14-2008, 07:21 AM
bigcountry

Hailing from MD ain't much of a stroke either,
Ain't that the truth. Totally different people than where I hail from Eastern Ky.

Quick Reply: Gas-checks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.