Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 22 long rifle bullet for woodchucks? >

22 long rifle bullet for woodchucks?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

22 long rifle bullet for woodchucks?

Old 06-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 22 long rifle bullet for woodchucks?

I shoot woodchucks around my house with a 22 long rifle.They are super paranoid and the slightest movement or noise sends them running for their hole (under a porch or out building) Unless I shoot them squarely in the nogin they neverexpire easily.I would prefer to use a more significant caliber but I doon't think the neighbors would appreciate it.
Is there a particular 22 long range bullet thatdoes the jobthe best?
Old 06-09-2008, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 22 long rifle bullet for woodchucks?

I often see woodchucks make it back to their hole after being hit.
I am not sure a 22 mag would do noticably better, then again you could get a 22 Hornet or 221 Fireball but both are noticeably louder.
Calhoun makes 20 calibers based on the Hornet and another on the 30 Carbine... There again, not sure of the noise on them.
Maybe tell the neighbors of your varmint problem and watch their reaction, possibly not minding if you shoot them with a bigger bang or buy/borrow a live trap
Old 06-09-2008, 06:21 AM

Couldn't imagine living where I couldn't pop anything out of any window in the house, with whatever I wanted to pop it with.............
Old 06-09-2008, 08:20 AM
bigcountry

I use hornady SST's. Out of my 22-250 or 204, I rarely have one penetrate thru. Problem is, both are very loud.

Wilds, you going to add anything ofvalue for the question or just let everyone know your random feelings on where to live? Man, we are so lucky to have you on this forum

Old 06-09-2008, 09:38 AM

I'd not care one wit about punchin' aCritter in my yard,with whateverfirearm I had close, outta any window I can get open...some things are simply that simple.

Bein' hemmed in by neighbors,with limited shooting, never was my forte...and I can hardly muster an appology for it.

Since that bothers you, I'dguess it be only your problem, not mine.

Can't figure a "yard" big enough where a CF is off limits, where a noggin shot couldn't be executed,with a .22 LR.

Stingers out of my highwall would be just the ticket, if so forced...........

Old 06-09-2008, 10:44 AM
DM

22WMR works a LOT better than a 22lr and it's what i use, but when i use a 22lr, i use Remington Vipers... That is is rifles, when i'm using a 22lr handgun, then i use yellow jackets... Both do a great job for me...

DM
Old 06-09-2008, 11:09 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Rifle Loony

I'd not care one wit about punchin' aCritter in my yard,with whateverfirearm I had close, outta any window I can get open...some things are simply that simple.

Bein' hemmed in by neighbors,with limited shooting, never was my forte...and I can hardly muster an appology for it.

Since that bothers you, I'dguess it be only your problem, not mine.

Can't figure a "yard" big enough where a CF is off limits, where a noggin shot couldn't be executed,with a .22 LR.

Stingers out of my highwall would be just the ticket, if so forced...........

Oh, thats so cute. Look, your trying to look like a good ole boy and not from NY. But I agree, I have dropped all kinds of critters with stingers. And agree even more with DM, that a 22 WMR, would be a better choice.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's been years since I shot woodchucks with a .22 LR, but back when I was doing it on a regular basis ( this was before such things as stingers, etc. were available) I found that a regular .22 LR hollowpoint would usually anchor a chuck as long as you hit the head, spine or shoulder/heart/lung area.. They are much better killers than the 40 grain solids, which only stopped them with a hit to the central nervous system... A gut shot chuck will make it to the hole, though, unless hit with a high intensity centerfire...Even my .222 was not a sure killer unless you made a solid torso hit from the ribcage forward...
Old 06-09-2008, 11:48 AM
bigcountry

I have to admit, I don't mind them running back in the hole. I have this issue now. I have a family of 4 just moved under my shed. I hit em, they go in the hole and throw lime over the hole. They have helped bury thierselves. Saves me some work

Old 06-09-2008, 01:09 PM

I really can't feel your city/suburbanite pain.....

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Oh, thats so cute. Look, your trying to look like a good ole boy and not from NY.
It simply does suck tho',to live where ILive,what with all the obvious concrete, up tight neighbors, and puny "yards"........

Whackin' a woodchuck with a .22LR, in the brain pan,is a no brainer....even in the "yard". Pun there, likely......

Quick Reply: 22 long rifle bullet for woodchucks?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.