HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Hunting bullet for .243 Ackley... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/247920-hunting-bullet-243-ackley.html)

jeepkid 06-01-2008 10:08 AM

Hunting bullet for .243 Ackley...

Hey Guys,

My .243 AI should be finished this month, and I was planning on using the 105gr Bergers. But, now I'm thinking maybe the 100gr Wildcats, 105gr A-Maxs, or those 111gr D-Tacs I keep hearing about...

The rifle has a 1/8 Broughton on it.

It will be used for deer/coyote hunting from close range out to 500 or so.

What do ya guys think??

Pawildman 06-01-2008 11:16 AM

RE: Hunting bullet for .243 Ackley...

That's going to be a tough decision to make. I'm sure you ordered the 1 in 8 for the specific reason to shoot the heavier bullets. I guess I'd start out with the 105's and see how they perform. We all know your gun will end up telling you what it likes the best.
I'm especially interested in how things work out for you. My new .243 AI is almost ready to be put down into the glass. Rem. 700 SA w/ 26" Lilja at 1 in 9. English walnut wood. Hardest piece of wood I've ever had.
Anyhow, I'm gonna be interested to hear how you are making out with it, and what you find. I intend to shoot around 85 gr. and up in mine, but we'll see. Will be watching for your findings.......

Rifle Loony 06-01-2008 05:05 PM

Just bedded my .243AI into it's McM sporter last night and did the clean up, mag box fit, and finishing touches on the free float today.

Mine's twisted the normal 1:9.5

Figurin' 85 TSX's and 87 Vmax's are the only way to go..........

ACLakey 06-02-2008 01:28 PM

I have a buddy that shoots an 85gr TSX for just about everything and has had great success doing it. He loads some 70gr Sierra Blitzkings for coyotes and they really put a hurting on them.

eldeguello 06-06-2008 05:37 PM

There isn't much room for improving rounds based on the .308 case. I see no reason that the 243 AI would need bullets much different from those you find in the regular .243 Win. Perhaps your quick twist will stabilize longer bullets, but they won't have any fantastic velocity advantage over the standard case with the same twist.

gunnermhr 06-06-2008 08:38 PM

With a 9 twist use the 95 Bergers. With a 8 twist I've heard great results with the 108 Berger BT. I should be able to let you know how they work after this weekend. The 9 twist will not stabilze the heavy bullets

DM 06-07-2008 06:26 AM

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

There isn't much room for improving rounds based on the .308 case. I see no reason that the 243 AI would need bullets much different from those you find in the regular .243 Win. Perhaps your quick twist will stabilize longer bullets, but they won't have any fantastic velocity advantage over the standard case with the same twist.
I agree, whywouldn't youjust go to the 6mm if you want alittle more than a 243??

DM

Rifle Loony 06-07-2008 07:27 AM

The 6 lacks Cool, AI's don't...........

HEAD0001 06-07-2008 04:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Rifle Loony

Ya man. Can you dig it??

I thought about mentioning the 6mm, but to each his own. If Jeep is paying for it, then he should get what he wants.

A 1in8 should make a great long range varmint round(I have though about one myself). Buy them large for caliber bullets and let em fly. I suggest you go to a few bench rest competitions and see what those guys are shooting for long range bullets. There are a lot of 600 yard shooters out there that like the 243 caliber.

Heck there is even a forum for 6mm shooters. Have you ever been over there?? Tom.

Rifle Loony 06-07-2008 08:02 PM

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

ORIGINAL: Rifle Loony

Ya man. Can you dig it??

I thought about mentioning the 6mm, but to each his own. If Jeep is paying for it, then he should get what he wants.

A 1in8 should make a great long range varmint round(I have though about one myself). Buy them large for caliber bullets and let em fly. I suggest you go to a few bench rest competitions and see what those guys are shooting for long range bullets. There are a lot of 600 yard shooters out there that like the 243 caliber.

Heck there is even a forum for 6mm shooters. Have you ever been over there?? Tom.
Flatter yourself that you try a suggestion for my benefit......and can translate in the same thoughtmy differentiation between chamberings intoa slight towards the caliber.

Not going todelve into the short haireddifferences bewtixt the 6mm Remington and the .243 AI, beyond that of scratching an itch....either way.

The 6mm Rem don't horn me up near as muchas an AI'd anything........