Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Hunting bullet for .243 Ackley... >

Hunting bullet for .243 Ackley...

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Hunting bullet for .243 Ackley...

Old 06-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunting bullet for .243 Ackley...

ORIGINAL: Rifle Loony

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

The 6 lacks Cool, AI's don't...........

Ya man. Can you dig it??

I thought about mentioning the 6mm, but to each his own. If Jeep is paying for it, then he should get what he wants.

A 1in8 should make a great long range varmint round(I have though about one myself). Buy them large for caliber bullets and let em fly. I suggest you go to a few bench rest competitions and see what those guys are shooting for long range bullets. There are a lot of 600 yard shooters out there that like the 243 caliber.

Heck there is even a forum for 6mm shooters. Have you ever been over there?? Tom.
Flatter yourself that you try a suggestion for my benefit......and can translate in the same thoughtmy differentiation between chamberings intoa slight towards the caliber.

Not going todelve into the short haireddifferences bewtixt the 6mm Remington and the .243 AI, beyond that of scratching an itch....either way.

The 6mm Rem don't horn me up near as muchas an AI'd anything........
For one, the 6mm would take a long action in order to shoot VLD's the best.

Two, Lapua doesn't make 6mm brass.

Three, no real velocity advantage between the 6mm and the .243AI.

Four, I just wanted something a little different.

Five, its too late to change now, it will be in my hands next week...
Old 06-08-2008, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

And...
Six, Good luck with it.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

You really owe it to yourself to load up some Sierra 85gr HPBTs up to
34-3500fps and use them...You will need to be careful of very close shots, but they are a great deer round in a .243...
Old 06-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

34-3500fps and use them...You will need to be careful of very close shots, but they are a great deer round in a .243...
I already have a box of them sitting in the cabinet...
Old 07-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

There isn't much room for improving rounds based on the .308 case. I see no reason that the 243 AI would need bullets much different from those you find in the regular .243 Win. Perhaps your quick twist will stabilize longer bullets, but they won't have any fantastic velocity advantage over the standard case with the same twist.
I now totally disagree with that statement. Bergers load data for the 105's max velocity was 2949fps. I just shot some out of my AI at 3401, 3406, and 3407.

450fps is a pretty big improvement imo...
Old 07-22-2008, 09:37 PM

What's your barrel length?
Old 07-22-2008, 09:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

What's your barrel length?
24" 1/8 Broughton 5c
Old 07-26-2008, 08:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

yep, 200 of those fps's can be attributed to the 5C barrel, they're just fast! stick to the 105's of whichever shoots the best jeep, BC will outrun velocity every time.
Just ran the numbers from 300 yard zero, your only 3.75 MOA low @500 and 17.25 MOA low @1K, almost mirrors the trajectory of my 7mm Allen. GIT'ER DONE!
RR
So far they shoot alright, a little under an 1" at 100. I need to try them at 200 more to see how they group. I think I need to push them into the lands a little more. I've shot some 95gr BT's (fireform) into the .2's, so I know the gun is plenty accurate. The 115gr Bergers shoot the same POI and group size as the 105's, also Richard Graves is going to get me some 115's to try out. Then its off the the 600 yard range!!!
Old 07-26-2008, 09:20 AM

Shot a solid half inch group, with mine, with the first 10 fireforming loads....87 grain Vmax's.

Bad news was a problem with the chamber, a little boo boo by a guy who doesn't ever make a boo boo. Had to send it back in for a little rework, as I'm just too picky on this sorta thing.

Fixed now, and can't wait until I can see what it'll really do.

This was good in a way because it tested the Cerekote finish. The barrel vise didn't hurt anything on the barrel, twisting the action off and back on didn't chip or peel anything around the recoil lug "joints", chucking it up in the lathe didn't hurt anything, which I was all a little bit concerned about.

The only thing that was "scuffed" was where the seams of theoutside clamping action wrench came together and left a slight scuff line near the gas escape port on one side, and it slightly scuffed a couple of the serial number's on the other side. Had it been a right handed action he could have used hisinside action wrench and not hurt anything. I just sent it back out toKansas for a touch up on the Cerekote, as it was just enough to bug me. I guessI want to start out with a "new" rifle and I'lllet me be the one totear it up....

Long way of saying it'll be a week or so before I can get back at shootin' mine, and if it does as good with regular AIloads as it did with fireforming loads in a messed up chamber, I'll be tickled silly with it........
Old 11-03-2008, 11:27 AM

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

I have been using the 85gr Sierra Gameking HPBTs for many years in .243 and for about 8 years in a Krieger barreled Browning Sako action in .243 AI. They do very well on whitetail. Unless it is something I might mount I usually go for a neck shot. I have not yet failed to hit or recover a one shot kill with that bullet.

I found a very accurate load for my Lupua brass using 42 grs of 4350 moving at 3368 fps. Yesterdays range session in anticipation of opening day resulted in three shot groups between .190 and .320.