Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Hornady Progressive Press >

Hornady Progressive Press

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Hornady Progressive Press

Old 01-25-2002, 06:57 PM

Default Hornady Progressive Press

I've had a Hornady Auto Progressive Press for over 2 years now and have had only one problem and that's inconsistant powder measurements. At times it will be okay and then it'll be as much as .5 grains too high or too low. I waste a lot of time having to keep checking the powder measurements and readjusting the powder measure. Is there anyone out that has a Hornady Auto Progressive Press and have you had problems with the Powder Measure? Thanks!
Old 01-25-2002, 08:05 PM

Default RE: Hornady Progressive Press

Dan,

Yeah I use one too, and have had pretty goodluck with it. Yes, the powder measure on it can be touchy, but everyone's is depending on the powder you use.

Stick powders meter terribly in most units, but short stick powders do much better. Then there are the ball powders, and they come out right on the nose.

I do not know what our reloading, but if its pistol, change the powder as a 1/2 gr is a big deal in those loads. If riflr, a half grain isn't THAT big a deal if your just doing some general shooting for practice or plinking. Serious hunting and competition loads I do ALL measuring by hand, and I do become a fanatical a** as I want my bullet where I aim everytime, and the animal down or the x ring hit.
Old 01-26-2002, 09:43 AM

Colo Wolf,
Last night I was talking to friend of mine about my problem with my powder measure and he suggested that I take it apart, clean it up real good, put it back together, and then run some powdered graphite through it. This morning I did it and now I am getting perfect powder measurements. Most of the time I use Bullseye or W231 in the press. Problem fixed and everything working perfect. Weather forcast for Tuesday, Jan 29 is sunny and 79 degrees. That means out to the range for some needed practice and to burn up 4 or 5 hundred rounds. Hunting season and the wet cold weather has kept me away from the range for too long.
Old 01-26-2002, 11:10 AM

Dan,
Glad you found a solution that was easier, I had tried the cleaning thing before and it didn't do much for me, but never know, maybe another time will turn the trick.

Think I am heading for yodel dogs for a 36 hour marathon. AS long as I can get some sleep Monday afternoon and night, this shold be a great hunt.