Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 44 mag range report >

44 mag range report

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

44 mag range report

Old 04-10-2008, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 44 mag range report

One my most accurate loads is a 300 grain lead cast over bullseye. Not a fast one but out of my 6 inch ruger redhawk its hitting almost 1000 fps. Im hoping I get drawn for a mule deer tag Id like to try this load out.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 44 mag range report

I shoot reloads with 23.3 gr of H110,which isslightly more thanmid-range between min-max that Hornady recommends for the 240 gr HP/XTP. For carrying out in the back country as a backup sidearm in case I ran into a large predator and could use my rifle, I use Corbon 300 gr hard cast bullets.

I don't find that the recoil is a problem with a Ruger Redhawk .44 - 4" with the Hogue grips, since I started following some tips from one of the guys on one of the Midway USA Wed. Night at the RangeOutdoor Channels shooting programs (Sighting In or one of those programs). He recommends keeping your arms up parellel with the pistols and slightly bent. You reduce recoil felt and the otherwise snapping back at the wrists in this wayby letting your arms move back more in a flexing motion reducing the big up and back recoil that you get when locking your arms and holding the pistol higher than your arms. He also keeps his strong arm hand high on the grip and locks the other hand in front of the grip with that hand's thumb over the thumb of your trigger pull hand. This tips with practice do seem to help control of the heavy mag. pistols and make me feel like I'm not getting beat up by the heavier loads so much.