Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 What is the purpose? >

What is the purpose?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

What is the purpose?

Old 03-24-2008, 05:58 PM

Default What is the purpose?

What exactly is the purpose of this die? To size the body and shoulder but not the neck? Is this what you use when you need to bump the shoulder for semi auto and break open, but do not want to fully resize the neck and then do a partial neck size with a neck sizer die? Reason I ask is I have a break open 204 and most guys say you must full length resize to get it to chamber properly. But then I have heard of a few guys say they just "bump" the shoulder and then do a partial neck size. Do I have this right or is there another use?

Here is the description as on Midway USA site...

Body dies are designed to full length size the case body and bump the shoulder position for proper chambering without disturbing the case neck. They are made without internal parts and intended for use only to resize cases which have become increasingly difficult to chamber after repeated firing and neck sizing.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What is the purpose?

Midway's description is pretty good. I use a body die to uniform the cases for consistency (and bump shoulders) and then use a bushing neck die (sometimes without the decapper) or use a collet neck-sizing die. Makes for very uniform, consistent brass.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

Some people do a two step process. Size body and bump shoulder with one die, then size neck with another. Redding makes a die that has bushings that you can change out to vary the amount of tension placed on the neck.

Get a Lee neck sizing die and give it a try. It is pretty cheap compared to the others, and if you find out that you can get away with just neck sizing, you can always spend bigger bucks. If you have to FL size every time, then you won't be out much.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: kelbro

Midway's description is pretty good. I use a body die to uniform the cases for consistency (and bump shoulders) and then use a bushing neck die (sometimes without the decapper) or use a collet neck-sizing die. Makes for very uniform, consistent brass.
I agree with kelbro-
The Midway explanation is about as clear and complete as you can get......