HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Neck Sizing Lube ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/238853-neck-sizing-lube.html)

Dave R 03-23-2008 07:48 PM

Neck Sizing Lube ?

I've heard of guys don't bother to lube cases that are only neck sized. I started w/ a Lee hand loader and never lubed any .270 brass that I knocked into that die. And I am stll using the same brass (loaded close to 10 times)!

These days I am using an RCBS neck-only resizer die for my .243 and wonder if its necessry to lube and if I should what's the best and cleanest lube to use and apply?

kelbro 03-23-2008 07:56 PM

RE: Neck Sizing Lube ?

The expander ball should see some lube. If you don't want to clean the lube off after sizing, you might try the mica or graphite dry lube. They work well for me.

DM 03-24-2008 07:00 AM

I like, and use Imperial Sizing die wax by far the best for all of my case forming and sizing, includingneck sizing. I touch the wax "lightly" to put a film of it on my finger, and then i lightly wipe my finger across the mouth of the case... After a couple cases, your finger builds up just the right amount for the job, and i can notice the difference when sizing. (don't use too much)

I don't worry about what little it leaves in the neck...as it's such a light film that i've never had a problem with it, but it wipes off very easily if that's what you want.

DM

bigcountry 03-24-2008 07:58 AM

ORIGINAL: Dave R

I've heard of guys don't bother to lube cases that are only neck sized. I started w/ a Lee hand loader and never lubed any .270 brass that I knocked into that die. And I am stll using the same brass (loaded close to 10 times)!

These days I am using an RCBS neck-only resizer die for my .243 and wonder if its necessry to lube and if I should what's the best and cleanest lube to use and apply?
Even neck sizing, I use imperial on the inside of the necks. I have found neck runout decreased with nice film of lube when the expander ball comes back thru compared to just dry.

Solitary Man 03-24-2008 09:44 AM

I use the Lee collet neck die which requires no lube whatsoever. Just one more reason to like it.

mcawful 03-24-2008 10:59 AM

I've used various types of lubes for sizing. Right now I'm on a Mica kick. Works well, not wet or greasy and I don't feel the need to wipe the cases down after.
Next month I may be on to something else.:D

skb2706 03-24-2008 11:59 AM

the expander ball will drag pretty bad on unlubed case necks....enough it will stretch the cases sometimes. I use just a light amount of Imperial on a q-tip and nothing on the outside.

Pavomesa 03-24-2008 02:16 PM

I dump my case to be reloaded in an open box. (Usually I load 40 - 100 at a sitting) Then I spray them verylightly with the squeeze bottle of spray on lube. Shake the box. Spray again very lightly. Shake the box and spray a third time.

This takes care of any and ALL lube needs and nothing nasty to have to wipe off.

When I'm done I just roll the completed rounds in an old soft tee shirt and they are squeeky clean of all things. The only thing any simpler would be if I didn't have to use any form of lube at all.

Okdave 03-25-2008 06:24 AM

I've been using a small container with some 7 1/2 shot and a mixture of moly/graphite. Just dip the necks and give them a spin and they come out with a nice coat on them.

Elk2901 03-27-2008 02:48 PM

I use Imperial wax but I would like to try the Mica stuff. Sounds like it is cleaner.