Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Trying to understand the lands? >

Trying to understand the lands?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Trying to understand the lands?

Old 03-19-2008, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Trying to understand the lands?

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

Ageeed----- But firs you have to establish bullet/lands relationship before you can start to use the Comparator. You need a starting point, and I think that was what the man was looking for.
That's why I posted the link on the gauge to measure the OAL.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:03 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

So is my load spot for a 40 grain VMax somewhere between 2.310 and 2.325? This is done with RCBS calipers and is to the red tip. I though that I had a long throat, but realized that was a bullet with out a ballistic tip and the Berger is more pointy then the VMax I think. Any pointers on if I am looking at this right?
Yes we understand hwat he asked, but that is just half his answer. w/o a bullet comparator (bc)all his efforts in measurement are wasted although if he were just using the same poly tip bullet he would be in better shape. He is at the point I was when starting to reload and was frustrated w/ all the diff bullet shapes until I found out about the bc. trying to save him some time finding out on his own.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:22 PM

You guys are all hitting the nail on the head! But the more you guys answer, I find more questions. So now I realize I need a bullet comparator. Are you guys saying that if I find the right depth with bullet "A" regardless of tip style that if I measure with a comparator that I can seat bullet "B" to the same readings with a comparator and be in the same spot with my lands regardless of the tip length or style. Like the Hornady may have a COL of 2.31 and with a Berger it may have a COL of 2.325, but measured with a comparator they both measure what ever that measurement is and be the same? I assume these comparators measure off where a gun is supposed to come into contact with the lands. Hope you guys do not read this and shake your heads, sorry if I am missing it.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your asking if you can seat bullet B from bullet A's measurements than the answer is no. You have to find the measurement for eachbrand andmodel and gr.of bullet you may try for where each one touches the lands on the gun you are reloading for. Different bullets can and will have different ogives and will measure different. I found the measurementfor the PartitionsI was reloading where they came in contact with the lands of the gun I was loading. Using a comparator I set my seater die to seat that particular bullet be 0.001 off of the lands. I now am loading Scirocco II's and I had to again find the measurement where the Scirocco II's came in contact with the lands on the gun I was reloading for and had to reset my seater die to seat the Scirocco II's x amount of distance back from the lands.