Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Need help getting started reloading >

Need help getting started reloading

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Need help getting started reloading

Old 03-17-2008, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need help getting started reloading

Hello
Thanks in advance for any help.

I decided to get into reloading since I purchased a S&W Model 629 in 44 Magnum and thought it would be neat to reload my own ammo.
The following is a description of what I bought on ebay;

HEAVY DUTY RCBS ROCK CHUCKER REPOADING PRESS. COMES COMPLETEWITH PRIMER CATCH TRAY, PRIMER ARM, AUTO PRIMER FEEDER WITH LARGE & SMALL PRIMER TUBES. PRESS IS SHOWING A LITTLE PAINT WEAR BUT NO RUST WORKS VERY SMOOTH. ALSO INCLUDED IN THIS PACKAGE DEAL IS 3 SHELL HOLDERS #2,#6,#10, ASPEER HARD BACK RELOADING MANUAL #10, 2 CASELOADING BLOCKS, AND A FULLBOTTLE OF RCBS CASE LUBE and a set of dies for 44 mag. I also ordered a dvd on reloading by RCBS.

Heres my question. Since I plan on being near a Cabelas and Sportsmans Warehouse on friday, I know I need a scale, but what other items are needed for basics just to get going? I have some brass that was used once. Also what is a good powder to start out with?

Thanks
Dan

Old 03-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Need help getting started reloading

Get the Sierra Reloading Manual. Go with whatever powder they recommend. It also has great info in the beginning on reloading, everything from the beginner to someone that has been reloading for a long time. I haven't looked at all the reloading manuals but the Sierra manual is fantastic.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:49 PM
bigcountry

24gr of H110 with 240gr Hornady XTP.

or my practice load of 10gr of Unique with 240gr Lasercast Semiwadcutter.

You willneed a trimmer, and a set of calibers. With the trimmer, it will need a 44mag pilot, and shell holder to fit 44mag. Calibers can range from cheapys at 25 dollars, or all the way up to 150 for a set of mitotoyo's. After trimming, you will need a deburr tool. Might want to pick up a hand primer. The one that connects to the press sucks. Not sure what shell holder you need for the press. You then need a powder thrower. I recommend lee or RCBS. A few people on here likes the Lee powder thrower. And of course, you need a scale. I recommend balance beam. I loathe digital scales, especially for beginners.

Here is your process. You will Full size and deprime at the same time. Then measure to see if it needs trimmed, and if it does, might as well trim all your cases at once. Then deburr all your cases. Then prime your cases with your hand primer. You will then flarr the case mouths, then charge them. You then seat your bullet and crimp the mouth.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

RCBS 505 scales is very nice for the money. I have a Lee's perfect powder and I think it bites big time and will be upgrading to one of the RCBS powder throwers. The lee's hand primer and the lee's shell holders that work with it works well for me. I use a Lyman's Universal trimmer and I like it in that you don't have to have a bunch of collets to use it as it has the quick attach and release chuck and comes with9 pilots which fits almost everything so for about $70 (maybe cheaper if your a good shopper) you can be trimming about any caliber you want to.. My favorite manual so far is the Lyman's 48th edition. I haven't had the opportunity to read Spears but it sounds like a good one. I have the Nosler 7th edtion and the Hornady's 6th edition and they are both good but when using a bullet maker's manual they just deal with their bullets.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lyman scales are great for the money. W296 is another good powder for magnum loads, I'm sure you would also be able to use 231, blue dot, unique as well as some others.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

The box your dies came in should say what shell holder you need on the lablel. Also, what kind of dies are they? Carbide (grey box) or carbon steel (green box). If they are carbide dies you won't need the case lube. Anyway if you need to lube the cases, Hornady's One Shot IMO is a better lube and less messy.
I second the W296 powder for the 44. Also the hand primer and some large pistol primers. Of course you will need some bullets. I use Hornady 240 gr XTPs. Cast bullets are good for practice but if your velocity gets above 1000 fps you may have lead fouling issues if they are not a hard alloy.
The trimmer can wait. I've never trimmed any of my 44 brass. But when you get to loading rifle brass that's another story. A good trimmer is the RCBS Trim Pro.
Another bit of advice when you start to load, set your expansion die so it only flares the cases enough to start the bullet. Any more will result in shorter case life due to neck splitting.
Keep the questions coming. There are plenty of guys here willing to help out. Although alot of us have different views on powder selection, trimming cases, primers etc. so you will have to weigh the differences for yourself.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:38 AM

Bronko is right about the case lube. Toss that crap from RCBS and use spray or better yet the spray BOTTLE instant lube. That syrupy lube is from the dark ages of reloading. The RCBS shell holder is #4. A carbide sizing die would be nice. I think you can buy this die seperate from someone and save some money. The case trimmer is useless to you and will never be used.

Stick with 2400 powder and I'd suggest you start with 19 - 21 grainsof 2400. At any rate 2400 is much more versatile powder. Frankly, I would order 500 cast 215 gr SWC bullets for the gun. About all you get with 240 grs is extra recoil, lower velocity and poor trajectory. Everyone loads the 44 like they expect to find a grizzly bear crawling in their bedroom window. Silliness. The 215 gr bullet will more than do everything you'll ever need to do with this pistol. Trust me.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:41 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Pavomesa

Bronko is right about the case lube. Toss that crap from RCBS and use spray or better yet the spray BOTTLE instant lube. That syrupy lube is from the dark ages of reloading. The RCBS shell holder is #4. A carbide sizing die would be nice. I think you can buy this die seperate from someone and save some money. The case trimmer is useless to you and will never be used.

Stick with 2400 powder and I'd suggest you start with 19 - 21 grainsof 2400. At any rate 2400 is much more versatile powder. Frankly, I would order 500 cast 215 gr SWC bullets for the gun. About all you get with 240 grs is extra recoil, lower velocity and poor trajectory. Everyone loads the 44 like they expect to find a grizzly bear crawling in their bedroom window. Silliness. The 215 gr bullet will more than do everything you'll ever need to do with this pistol. Trust me.
I know one thing, ever sinceI have been loading 1300fps 240gr loads, I have yet to see a griz come thru my window.

And ever since I have got a 460S&W and loading 300gr XTP"s to 1900fps, I have yet to see a rhino come thru my neighborhood. They know better.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

ROFLMAO - I did have a cape buffalo grazing in my back yard last week but my "Big Medicine" 405 Win took care of that. And I thought my labs crapped a lot!!!
Old 03-22-2008, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

As far as the dies, I haven't gotten them them but I imagine them to be non carbide.

A couple more questions, all pertaining to 44 mag.
Whats the difference between roll crimp and taper crimp?

Is the sizing die the only carbide die in the set or are all three? (The reason I ask is that I see on ebay a set of dies with a carbide sizing die. And I was wondering if buying that set would eliminate the lube.)

I may get a set of carbide dies once I receive my ebay purchase and sell the ones I get if they are not carbide. Also, how do I tell if the dies are in good shape? I'd hate to get the used set I bought, put them up for sale and they aren't in good shape.

Thanks again

Dan

Quick Reply: Need help getting started reloading

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.