Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Progressive Presses >

Progressive Presses

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Progressive Presses

Old 03-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Progressive Presses

Anyone here using any progressive presses? I'd like to get one to load mainly 223 with. I'd also down the road end up loading my 9mm, 38 special, 357, 40, and 45.

I did alot of research last night, and seems that all the presses have their flaws in them.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:14 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Progressive Presses

I have the Pro1000, and highly recommend you steer clear. It was given to me, and I use it for pistol, but you miss a primer, or you powder feed gets below 1/4 full, bad things happen.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:03 PM
Typical Buck

I am about this far away __from entering the AR world and am also thinking about getting a dedicated prgressive strictly for the .223 and am leaning towards a Dillon 650. Anyone have thoughts on it?
Old 03-08-2008, 11:31 AM

I've had two Dillons and sold both just because I'm not loading enough to justify them any longer. They are superb presses and the company will take care of you till you die. You can't go wrong with Dillon. The little SDB is the perfect press for pistol.

Just do yourself a favor and call Dillon. Problems solved.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Right now Hornady is offering 1000 free bullets with a LNL AP purchase.
Here is some good reading
http://www.reloadersnest.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6571
http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLeeHornadyComparison.pdf
http://www.reloadersnest.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6492

Old 03-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

Whatever the Hornady LNL's flaws are, Hornady and I are living with them fine. I have broke a thing or two. They always send me the part. No questions asked.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:29 AM

Rammer,

I have had a Dillon 550 for over 10 years and I load pistol and .223
I was skeptical about accuracy on the .223, non AR loading,for a Ruger varmit set-up. Once set properly it was no problem. I also bought the Dillion .223 carbide dies, although costly I really like the outcome. You still have to LUBE your brass!!

As far as loading for pistol, it is very fast. I load for 5 different calibers. The cost starts to build if you get a complete toolhead setup for eadh caliber. You will have to decide if the time spent setting up for different calibers is worth to you. That is why I boughta progressive in the first place. I kept adding through the years, couldn't afford everything at once. It is very nice to just remove 2 pins and slide in a tool head, change your plate and start making rounds.

Their warranty is second to none.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks everyone for your replies so far. Yesterday I was at Cabelas, and they only had the Hornady LNP. I have a few dillon books laying around here, I'm going to check out the Dillons as well, but I'm almost certain I will probably go with the Hornady.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:04 AM

I have a Dillon 550 and a 650. The 650 w/ the casefeeder is great for loading LOTS of ammo in a short amount of time. If you're planning on loading shorter runs of many different calibers, that's where the 550 shines. A caliber changeover is faster and easier on the 550. I don't do much high volume pistol shooting anymore, so I am thinking of selling my 650 and picking up a second 550.

I will add that Dillon's warantee is second to none. My 550 is over 20 years old, and I am the 3rd owner. They still support the press as if I were Mike Dillon's best friend.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:08 AM

ORIGINAL: doubleA
I am about this far away __ from entering the AR world and am also thinking about getting a dedicated prgressive strictly for the .223 and am leaning towards a Dillon 650. Anyone have thoughts on it?
This is where the 650 shines. Set it up and crank out ammo by the thousands. A single Saturday morning's production run can produce enough ammo to last me several months. The machine is amazing.

Quick Reply: Progressive Presses

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.