Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

RCBS....again

Old 03-07-2008, 12:42 PM

Default RCBS....again

I recently traded my 30-06 Encore pistol barrel for a .22-250 barrel. I've been reloading for about 25 years or so, and in that time I've done a few "things", like broke a few decapping pins , crushed a few cases, lube dents, and the like, but yesterday was a first. I managed to get a bag of new brass and an RCBS die set for the 22-250, and set the first die up. I had already re-sized, measured, trimmed and put into the tumbler about 8 or 9 cases when something went awry. Not being used to loading anything so small, I wasn't thinking when I pulled the handle on the press. I evidently didn't have the case securely seated in the shell holder when I pulled the handle, and I just completely ruined the resizing die.. The only thing that survived my error were three lock nuts and the die body. I swear I've felt more resistance when necking up cases for the larger calibers.
A quick call to RCBS and the lady I talked to said the replacement parts were on the way I didn't much have to tell her more than what I did, and give my address. (which I'm sure they have, I'm kinda bad about blowing O-rings on my Lubrisizer!)

I'm still in awe as to the customer service some of these large companies provide! [/align]
Old 03-07-2008, 01:50 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: RCBS....again

Man, after all that, I still am not sure what happened. What happened to the sizing die? How did brass damage steel?

Old 03-08-2008, 11:35 AM

I don't understand what he did either?? About the only way to damage an RCBS press and dies is to take a hammer to them...unless he stuck a case in the dies and ruined them trying to chisel it out.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:56 PM

Not at all. The decapping pin ended up in a J shape, and the spindle that the neck expander screws intobroke. The brass didn't damage the spindle, the force of the ram did. I don't believe that I had the case all the way over in the shellholder.. Anyway, new parts are on the way.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a118/OldeFarte/100_0313.jpg
Old 03-13-2008, 04:48 PM

I can't believe the customer service... Wow. I'm glad that I just bought an RCBS press. Although I hope that I never have to use it.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:54 PM

Maybe he forgot to change the shell holder and he got the shell in sideways.

That's the only thing I can figure.

Most RCBS reps will tell you that the shell holder and the decap rod are not under warranty.

I have sent my .300 Win Mag dies back so many times, I refuse to load for it anymore.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:39 PM

kinda weird i load a lot of 22-250 an use RCBS 10601 fl die set an have never had any problems (just a thought) but something could havebeen in the caseor did you pull the lever down to fast with the case off set an not in the holder all the way.I don't think it was the holder itself you said you allready did 8 or 9 cases
but in any case its nice to know RCBS is on the job an were fast to send you parts gota love for that
Old 03-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Typical Buck

Yes they are a great company with great products which are guaranteed for life, no matter who owns them.

Spudrow from Missouri
Old 03-15-2008, 08:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Man, after all that, I still am not sure what happened. What happened to the sizing die? How did brass damage steel?

Yeah! How??
I have smashed CASES by not having them all the way into the shellholder, but the brass didn't harm the DIE...... I have bent some decapping rods, but the die body was OK. The shellholder for the .22/250 is the same one used for the .30/'06.....
Old 03-15-2008, 07:14 PM

OOPS! Never ment to say I hurt the die body.. or the shellholder. I do believe I can read well enough to know what shell holder I needed to use. I was using the same one that I use to load my 30/06 A.I.Maybe I can't type well, though.....What ducksmoker said was what happened. I wasn't paying attention. I did the damage on the case before the last one, and then just forced the other.... Anyway the parts came in and it's up and running again.

Quick Reply: RCBS....again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.