Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

media tumblers

Old 02-27-2008, 09:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default media tumblers

Well I bit the bullet and bought a tumbler today.
Besides emptying and checking inside for left over media, anything else I should watch for????

A couple weeks ago someone posted that they spin each shell and polish with Flitz. Wow what a difference!!! Guess what I've been doing for the last hour.[&:]
Old 02-27-2008, 09:32 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: media tumblers

Man, Years ago, I used to tumble everytimeI reload. But I hate going thru and getting out the corncob or walnut media. And after doing it, it only stays shiney for a few months, and gets a duel finish, I think its oil from the media.

But anyway sounds like your doing everything right.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Be sure to check the flash hole too if you resize before tumbling. This is a good time too to check for splits in the case mouth/neck area.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:20 PM

I don't bother to resize before tumbling as the media really doesn't do much for cleaning the flashhole anyway. Secondly, the cleaner your brass is, the easier and better it will size in your dies. However, I do take the polished cases and pour them out in an old Tee shirt and give them a good roll-around to clean the dust etc from tumbling off them. Then I lube and size with spray on lube. After the finished round is done, I wipe all again with Tee shirt. Ammo looks and feels like new for a long time, or a couple of firings anyway...whichever occurs first.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tumble - resize - tumble. I tumble the 2nd time to get the spray lube all off. I use only walnut media now as I got tired of trying to shake allthe corn cob mediaout of my cases and having to pick the stuck hunks out of my flashholes. I use a Lyman's 1200 Turbro Pro with auto flow.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:10 PM

Get a media separator (Dillon's is great), it sure makes short work of it. I tumble and separate right after, otherwise the media sticks to the cases pretty bad if left to sit awhile. Another tip that I have started using, is I bought a vacuum sealer, and I now vacuum seal my loaded ammo for storage, or for taking into the field in adverse weather conditions. .... SHOTARYE
Old 03-19-2008, 11:31 AM
Fork Horn

I use a simple fryalator scoop or kitty litter scoop to get brass out.

I decide to brush the inside of my cases to get that dredded red dust out of them and was surprised at howsome cases really caked up w/ the stuff. I will brush out all my cases from now on.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tumbling cases, in my opinion is way over rated. More work with little of no return. I would have sold you my vibratory tumbler (Thumlers)for a good price. They are messy besides that.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SJAdventures

I tumble - resize - tumble. I tumble the 2nd time to get the spray lube all off. I use only walnut media now as I got tired of trying to shake allthe corn cob mediaout of my cases and having to pick the stuck hunks out of my flashholes. I use a Lyman's 1200 Turbro Pro with auto flow.
I do the same, and tumble one more time after trim and chamfering with media that is set aside just for the final tumble. The cleaner your brass is the less likely you are to have problems with your dies.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Man, Years ago, I used to tumble everytimeI reload. But I hate going thru and getting out the corncob or walnut media. And after doing it, it only stays shiney for a few months, and gets a duel finish, I think its oil from the media.

But anyway sounds like your doing everything right.
BC, What's your method now?
I'm still tumbling, and it can be a pain. Cleaning of the brass after tumbling is like adding another step to an already involved process.

Quick Reply: media tumblers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.