Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Trimming Brass

Old 02-27-2008, 06:55 PM

Default Trimming Brass

How often should you trim/deburr brass?
Old 02-27-2008, 07:10 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Trimming Brass

As soon as it reaches max case length. Do not shoot brass that is over. It can cause extremely high pressures.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

BC is right - you must trim when your cases reach max length.
I trim my cases each time, even if its just to square up the case mouth. It isn't necessary but reloading is a pass time for me so I almost always trim as part of my case preparation.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I trim to chamber. Some of my rifles have a longer chamber than spec. so, book don't really apply for me.Also, some cartridges stretch more than others. I find that the cases start to get a little longer after 3 full power loadings. I then knock .004 off of them and load them. Follow the book specs and you won't have any problems with length. Check them with a caliper, and keep a trimmed to specs case around for setting up your trimmer. You should find that your accuracy will be enhanced if the case fills the chamber to as close tolerences as is possible. Be careful if it is overly long, as your pressures will rocket if you are crimping your neck by forcing the case into the lead. I am a Ruger #1 fan, so, if it is a little long, they won't fit. The power that you can get when chambering a bolt action is incredible, and you could easily force the neck of an overly long case into the lead unknowingly, creating pressures that are extremely dangerous or fatal. Have fun! I do.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:34 PM

I've lived a wicked and sinful life when it comes to case trimming. I'd rather go to the dentist than sit down and trim cases.[:@] Most of my misguided life I haven't even worried about the subject and happily I have never had any trouble with brass, pressure or all the other evils things we are promised if we don't constantly measure and adjust our brass.

Fortunately I haven't owned many rifles that were famous for stretching their cases.

Bottom line is I think this whole subject is somewhat overrated. I know I'll be stoned at the city gates for saying such a thing.[&o]

But don't let my post be construed to mean I never do it or check it. I do and I do........just not every time. Usually not every other time. More like every 4th time and I hardly ever find anything shocking. Nor have I ever suffered catastrophic case failure in anything. Allah be praised.

Proper case length is something a guy needs to be conversant with and keep a general eye on. But IMHO it's not the boogey man some think or preach.

Oh, and when I trim...I never trim to standard case length. I always trim a few thousands shorter than the specs so I can ignore the subject a bit longer next time. It's worked for me over a few zillion rounds.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

Most reloading guidelines were developed based on avoiding dangerous or potentially dangerous situations. I would advise that you follow the guidelines established by people with extensive and varied experience over the one or two folks that suggest otherwise.

What's the saying about old reloaders vs. bold reloaders???
Old 02-29-2008, 09:09 AM

I don't know, Kel. I'm mighty old.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kelbro

Most reloading guidelines were developed based on avoiding dangerous or potentially dangerous situations. I would advise that you follow the guidelines established by people with extensive and varied experience over the one or two folks that suggest otherwise.

Yeah. Ithink the general gist of it means that if you tend to be a BOLD reloader, you may not be around long enough to become an OLD reloader..........
Doesn't exactly take a MENSA candidate to figure that one out, now, does it??
Old 02-29-2008, 07:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

ORIGINAL: kelbro

Yeah. Ithink the general gist of it means that if you tend to be a BOLD reloader, you may not be around long enough to become an OLD reloader..........
Doesn't exactly take a MENSA candidate to figure that one out, now, does it??
I've been called a lot of things Paw but never a MENSA candidate. Not that you were calling me one.

But I hear what you guys are saying and I don't want anyone to think I'm the guy who just blows off every caution about reloading in the book. I'm not. I've done a lot of wild and crazy things but always done them "cautiously" and always with a pretty good knowledge of what sort of dangers I was running. So I have always done them very carefully and worked up to things and read all the signs along the trail so I could abandon my idea at the first sign of trouble.

What I am saying is many reloaders get so "anal" about all the do's and dont's of reloading that they never realize most of these "don'ts are really generalized cautions rather than hard fast NEVER/NEVERS.

You will NOT die if your brass gets .001's over factory specs. I doubt seriously if anyone will know any difference if their brass gets .005's over factory specs. I have checked my brass before trimming and discovered some cases were .007's over "trim to length." No big deal. I never knew it. My rifles never knew it and zero pressure increases.

I think a guy will start FEELING in when he closes the bolt when he's getting dangerously long cases. I don't suggest anyone go that long. Anytime my ammo gives me the slightest sensation it doesn't want to fit or resists chambering in any way, I stop and figure out why. But I don't lie awake at night worrying about the Reloader Boogie Man.

Everyone should have some general concept of what their case lengths are reaching...and I do. But measuring and trimming and jicking with the brass each time is just silliness in my book. The best I can say is it does no harm. If a guy enjoys such exercises, by all means do it. But I don't want any young reloader to get the impression that they are venturing into a world where one transgression and they die. That's just BS or all of us would be dead.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have actually read that you should only trim your brass 3 times and then you disgard them. I can shoot mine about 4 times before I have to trim and then I trimto specs, but I am not a bold reloader. I came into this world with two eyes and ears and I am planning on leaving this world with two eyes and earsI figure why watse money on my manuals if I ain't going to believe them. JMHO.

Quick Reply: Trimming Brass

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.