Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Gander Mountain: are they sniffing glue? >

Gander Mountain: are they sniffing glue?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Gander Mountain: are they sniffing glue?

Old 02-20-2008, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Gander Mountain: are they sniffing glue?

I walked into the local GM store for the first time in about a year and quickly understood why its been so long since I've been there.

.308 SMKs= $40/box
.224 smks= $35/box
Hornady rifle bullets= start at $26/box
RCBS die sets= $40
Box of remington corelokt 30-30 shells= $23
Box of remington corelokt .308 and 30-06 shells= $29
Box of 25-06 remington corelokt shells= $40
Cheapest rifle primers= $3.50/100

Now I realize that ammo prices have gone up, but this is rediculous. The local Cabelas store has all of the same items for a little more than 1/2 the price GM was asking. A Sportsmans Warehouse nearby that sadly went out of business was cheaper yet.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gander Mountain: are they sniffing glue?

I dont buy anything from GM..Sportsman is cheeper and if they dont have it Scheels isnt to bad about the same as SW...Thier Powder and Pimers are the same but bullets are differant in prices,brass is the same last time I checked too.
And nobody has Fed 210m primers or 215m primers..plunty of cci tho last time I was there anyway...
Old 02-20-2008, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gander Mountain must be like Wal-Mart. they price their merchandise according to the local economy. We just got a new Cabela's in Wheeling, WV. We have a Gander Mountain in Washington, PA.

I have found just the opposite here. Gander is cheaper across the board versus Cabela's. I have found our Cabela's(Wheeling, WV) prices to be totally out of whack. And the worst part about the Wheeling Cabela's is thatwhenever I went there to get something they did not even have what I wanted. It just goes to show that you have to shop. Tom.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:38 AM
Typical Buck

aye, it is peculiar....the prices on most items at my local gm are lower than cabela's or midway. makes you wonder how they arrive at their prices.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where I live, up until a month ago, there was a GM, A SW, and a Cabelas all within 10 miles of eachother. I'm really suprised that the GM didn't go out of business because since the SW went up, there have been very few cars in the parking lot at GM. The SW just went out of business over this last month. My boss knows the manager there who claimed hat Cabelas hurt their business because it draws alot more customers. I found that kind of strange, because I often window shop at Cabelas and then buy the stuff at SW, which is cheaper and everytime that I've been to SW, even on weeknights, the place was packed with customers.

The pricing at GM doesn't make much sense since Cabelas is 3 miles away from that store and all of the same items are far cheaper at Cabelas, and Cabelas has a much better selection. Maybe Gander has better prices on other things, but I'm not sure about that either.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

I walked into the local GM store for the first time in about a year and quickly understood why its been so long since I've been there.

.308 SMKs= $40/box
.224 smks= $35/box
Hornady rifle bullets= start at $26/box
RCBS die sets= $40
Box of remington corelokt 30-30 shells= $23
Box of remington corelokt .308 and 30-06 shells= $29
Box of 25-06 remington corelokt shells= $40
Cheapest rifle primers= $3.50/100

Now I realize that ammo prices have gone up, but this is rediculous. The local Cabelas store has all of the same items for a little more than 1/2 the price GM was asking. A Sportsmans Warehouse nearby that sadly went out of business was cheaper yet.

function ResizeTextArea(){
// return;
var TextArea = document.getElementById("body1");
var sX = document.body.clientWidth;
var sY = document.body.clientHeight;
var sppp = 350;
if (TextArea){
TextArea.style.width = (sX-200>=450)? (sX-200) +'px' : '450px';
if (sY=300)? '270px': (sY-sppp

I have yet to buy my first rifle or shotgun at Gander and probably never will, they have no competition in my area.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I almost bought a rifle there awhile back. I ordered a specific model and had the ki behind the gun counter who really didn't look like he wanted to be there call around to see if he could locate one. He finally did and told me it would be in in about a week and would call me. 2 weeks went by without a call. I stopped at the store and another employee said "oh yeah, we have that one on hold in the back." The rifle they brought out was not only not the same rifle that ordered, but cost a lot more than the quoted price (it was a similar rifle by the same manufacturer). I told him that I didn't want it, then I went to Sportsman's Warehouse and bought the exactrifle that I wanted for $10 less than they wanted at GM.

I won't go into how they screwed up some work they did on one of my bows and a bore-sighting that was off by 4'.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

I was at the local gun shop and picked up 2 boxes of Sierra 230 FMJ bullets for my 45 at $19.95 a box but they didn't have any 60 gr Hornady 224" bullets in stock. On my way home I figured I'd stop at GM to pick up a box or 2. Out of curiosity, I checked the the $ of the Sierras - $29.95 a box. SEE YA LATER.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:22 PM
Fork Horn

Some have to be!
Ok just before ChristmasI flew to florida on a friends plane for a quail hunt I stopped at GM for some 20 & 28 gage shot shells before we left MI. They marked up the on selve shells 150%they just cross off the old price stuck on on new price. The 20ga AA were $15.99 and the 28ga super X were $25.99. After the stroke passed I with no time to shop and after all was getting a free flight. Ithought it was just a considerate thing to bring some shells for my friend and laid down a $100 plus tax for five boxes of shells.

After getting back to MI I check my local gun shop and a different GM and guess what they never herd of any reason for the crime. 20ga AA were and still are $8 and the 28ga high brass was $15. Thats up since last fall but not the 150% the other store was charging. And they do not raise the price of in store stock only new purchased stock.

The oridginal auther said "The love of money is the root of all evil" Moneys realy cool stuff, Its why one wants it and what ones dose to get it thats suspect.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:10 PM

I used to work at a WI Gander Mountain store, while I was in college. I worked for them in the early '90's, when they still had a catalog division and before the retail stores were bought out by Holiday. Back then, the Gander Stores were the best in town. They had good selections, were well stocked, and had competitive prices.

I visited a few Gander Stores in WI and MN, when I was in the area over Christmas & New Year's this year. I was very disappointed. Their reloading departments were sparce, and what they did have was WAY overpriced. I can get the components cheaper in Alaska, and that's saying something!

I still like much of the Gander Guide Series clothing, and when it goes on sale, there are good deals to be had. Unfortunately, their reloading department is a sad joke of what it used to be.

Quick Reply: Gander Mountain: are they sniffing glue?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.