Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Zeroing Scales

Old 02-17-2008, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default Zeroing Scales

I have a friend who gave me some of his fathers reloading tools, after he passed on.
One of the items is a RCBS 5-0-5 scale (balance) it's a lot more user friendlythan my Lee scale, but when I compare a measured load they differ a few tenths of a grain. Is there a any way to see which one is really the most accurate??

Thanks again!
Old 02-17-2008, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Zeroing Scales

The way to find out how accurate the scales are is to get a weight kit. Check the link for more info... http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/...990&type=store
Old 02-18-2008, 12:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

+1 I check my scales with a RCBS weight kit.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:58 AM
Typical Buck

aye....the only way to be sure is to buy a set of check weights. i got mine from www.midwayusa.com. they are made by lyman....but any brand will do just fine. you should check your scales before you load and periodically while you are throwing charges. good luck.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Before I got a scale kit I just used a 168gr. Sierra matchking bullet.....
If my scale didn't read 168gr. with that bullet, it got adjusted until it did..

Old 02-18-2008, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, use SMKs, they are very consistant weight-wise. For the price of a set of check weights you can buy a whole box of them, purpose made check weights are really a gimmick you can live without.

BTW, as with anything else, scales have tolerances. Most of them are rated for 1/10th of a grain of error. Its very well possible that you could take two identical scales and have one read 1/10th of a grain low and the other 1/10th high giving a 2/10ths difference in weighing the same object. The best you can hope for is to zero the scale against something of a known weight (like a SMK- I keep a single one in a box just for zeroing my scale) to keep your reloading data consistant.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

Coming form the Engineering measurement World please get a set of check weights so you can tell what any scales are acualy reading. Do not rely on what you asume a bullet is suppost to weight. And check you zero at your intended charge weight or as close as possible. You may find that say at a 60.0gr zero with weights your 0.00 is now 0.02 off. Be safe and make the purchase.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are working up your loads like you are supposed to be doing, you don't need the scale to be dead precise to the 1/10th gr (as I mentioned before, the balances aren't that precise to begin with)- you need it to read the same every time which is more important. And yes, Sierra Match Kings are very consistant- I've weighed samples of 30 or more bullets from each box of 4 different calibers/weights and if I find 1 out of every 30 that doesn't weigh the same as the others, its a suprise.Spend the money on another relading manual, or a box of SMKs and test this for yourself. Don't waste your money on check weights.

BTW, I work in a place that uses a lot of analytical balances, some read to 0.000001 gram, I've made up my own set of check weights from coins, paper clips, and other objects and havebeen careful enough to clean them before assigning them a weight value and handled them with only goves. I've tested them against SMKs enough that I eventually got to the point that I no longer use them and only use bullets to check my balance.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

Briman makes a very good point. The measurement that you are loading to is relative. If your scale says 24.5gr and that is the load that shoots, it doesn't matter if it really weighs 24.3gr or 24.7gr.

Although most reloading scales are pretty good, the possibility of measurement discrepancies is another very good reason to NOT use loads that others post on internet forums as written without working up on your own. Who knows? Maybe the person that is posting the load has a set of scales that are .5gr off, one way or the other.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TJEN

Coming form the Engineering measurement World please get a set of check weights so you can tell what any scales are acualy reading. Do not rely on what you asume a bullet is suppost to weight. And check you zero at your intended charge weight or as close as possible. You may find that say at a 60.0gr zero with weights your 0.00 is now 0.02 off. Be safe and make the purchase.
From an enginering standpoint?
Aretellin me,a very very quality controled bullet(it is match grade afterall) measured to exact specific standards, (they have to be, otherwise no competition shooter would ever use them) isn't comparable in every way,to a set of a set ofQUALITY scale weights.
Bothrequire tight tight tolerences, they are both doubled checked, tripple checked and quadrupiled checked..
I have yet to find any Sierra matchgrade bullet that didn't weigh exactly what it was suppose to, but can't say that for all scale weight manufactures.
With some scale weight manufacturers your relying on the assumption of what the weight is suppose to be, its no different than the average bullet....
Honestly I'd trust a Seirra's overall quality control and tolerences of their match grade Match Grade Bullet, over alot of scale weight brands....
It took me a long time, before I put money forward for scale weights because
I had a hard time finding a brand I could trust and rely on...

Quick Reply: Zeroing Scales

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.