Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 powder dispensers >

powder dispensers

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

powder dispensers

Old 02-09-2008, 05:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default powder dispensers

anyone using the new digital powder dispensers or do you weigh each load by hand like me? just wondered if they work as advertised and do you like them? most of the time, speed is not a big issue for me so i tend to weigh each charge especially in the winter when static is a problem.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: powder dispensers

I use mine to weigh cases and when adjusting my powder measure. With most powders my measure drops consistantly so I do not need to weigh each powder charge
Old 02-09-2008, 07:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

I guess I'm old school too. I weigh each charge for loading rifles. However, my ancient Pacific powder dispenser is still plenty consistant. For handgun loading, once I set it, I pour directly into the case. But I still weigh every 10th charge to be sure something didn't change. That way, if there is a problem, I only have to dump the last 10 charges poured.
I'm like you, time isn't a concern. I prefer consistancy and safety over volume.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I weigh each charge. I am not in any hurry when I reload.Some who use them claimyou cannot use the electronic powderdepensers/scale combos under fluorecent lights as the light will cause false readings.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I weigh all my loads to make sure it’s right on. No dispenser for me at this time...
Old 02-09-2008, 11:31 AM

I just got a RCBS Powder Trickler/Scale recentlyand its seriously one of the coolest things i've ever seen.If your not worried about time i wouldnt spend the $300 on it but it does speed up the process. Being a kid i just get frustrated with how longthe old school way takes compared to the electronic way.
Good Luck
~Deric
Old 02-09-2008, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bobfm10350

Being a kid i just get frustrated with how long the old school way takes compared to the electronic way.
Good Luck
~Deric
Patients GRASSHOPPER... patients...
Old 02-09-2008, 01:29 PM

ORIGINAL: SJAdventures

I weigh each charge. I am not in any hurry when I reload.Some who use them claimyou cannot use the electronic powderdepensers/scale combos under fluorecent lights as the light will cause false readings.

why would the light cause false readings?? please explain
Old 02-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

A chronograph can give false readings under flourescent light. I've never heard of a problem with powder dispensers.

I have the RCBS two piece unit. It is almost required for steel shot shotgun reloading, because the powder used (Alliant Steel) will not work in a traditional meter. I use it for rifle loading too, but it probably isn't necessary. It is pretty handy for ladder tests when you want to load a few, change the charge and load a few more.

It is very accurate, within .1 grains every time. I think it is slower than a regular powder measure. I don't use mine when I load ball powder, it is quicker to use a measure.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I throw and weigh each charge by hand. Good luck.

Quick Reply: powder dispensers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.