Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 powder dispensers >

powder dispensers

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

powder dispensers

Old 02-13-2008, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: powder dispensers

ORIGINAL: ihuntbuck

ORIGINAL: SJAdventures

I weigh each charge. I am not in any hurry when I reload.Some who use them claimyou cannot use the electronic powderdepensers/scale combos under fluorecent lights as the light will cause false readings.
I really don't know why myself. Just stating what I have read a couple of reloadrers who used them stated. I wish I could fid the post but it was awhile ago whenI read it.

why would the light cause false readings?? please explain
Old 02-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I rarely reload less than 50 rifle rounds or 200 pistol rounds at a time unless I'm working up a new load.
I use a Lee autodisc for pistol powders and a Lee Perfect measure for stick powders. I used to use a RCBS uniflow measure, but its more monkeying around than its worth to get it to charge consistantly.

I set the measure and put 5-6 charges through it until it settles down, then check it by running 10 charges using the exact same technique as when I'm reloading into a dish and dividing the weight by 10. I check every 10th-15th charge by weight or check each charge that doesn't 'feel' right. To get a powder measure to work right, you need to work with a certain cadence- you'll know if your rythym is off a bit any your charge will be too.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:17 PM
Typical Buck

i absolutely agree with briman. i used to use a lee perfect powder measure (occasionaly still do). a change in your cadence will alter the powder drop. i got out of the habit of using the lee measure because i like to use unique for my 9mm and being a flake powder, it meters horribly.[:@]
Old 02-14-2008, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've noticed the same thign with Unique.

If I set the lee Disc on a single stage press, the charges aren't very consistant. If I set it up on on a turret press where the measure gets jolted and jacked around 3-4 times between charges, it settles in. The problem is that to test its charging I have to work the press like I'm reloading an entire cartridge and use a piece of brass to catch the charge for weighing- it takes a bit more time. I only use Unique for reduced loads in 6.5x55 and 7.72x39 where the variation of +/-0.1gr charge makes no difference.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

I forgot their name, but has anyone used the pricy powder measures that Sinclar sells. I think they range from $200to $300 just adjustable hand levered type? They look great and have a very good clamp on adjustable stand.

I justhave a RCBS measure andbeam scale. I only load for huntingrifles so 50 at a time is max. Drop the measured powder into the pan, go to the scales and trickle in some to the exact weight. IfI were to use a ball powder and saw there was no need I would thow the charge into the cases. But for now its aaccurasy veriable I can verify.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:42 PM

i use the rcbs charge master. although i calibrate and ckeck it with the check weights each time i reload. it seems to be pretty darn accurate if you ask me.