HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   bore cleaning (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/231515-bore-cleaning.html)

shewe 02-09-2008 04:55 AM

bore cleaning

not sure if this is the proper forum.....but here goes. i have a .3006 that is a heavy fouler. i've tried outers bore solvent, hoppe's elite, andbore tech eliminator. i've done numerous repetitions with each and nothing seems to clean the last couple of inches of the bore. any suggestions would be appreciated. btw have also tried soaking the bore in kano kroil with no luck.:(

bronko22000 02-09-2008 07:27 AM

RE: bore cleaning

You didn't say what kind of fouling it is. Assuming its copper fouling, there have been some guys on here that say Wipeout is great. I have a Browning A-bolt that collects copper and so far the best thing that I have found is the Hoppe's Elite metal fouling remover. But if I can find this Wipeout, I will give it a try.
But just in case you didn't read the instructions on the bottle, you HAVE to let the cleaner soak in the barrel for 10 - 15 mins to give it time to work.

trailer 02-09-2008 10:43 AM

I have used Barnes CR-10 and Sweets with good results but I sure like the Gunslick Foam. Works very well...

handloader1 02-09-2008 06:18 PM

Try JB's to smooth out bore. Good luck.

Pavomesa 02-09-2008 07:14 PM

Wipe Out is good but DON'T get the stuff on your stock. It will eat the finish very shortly. Don't ask how I know.

The question on my mind is WHY your /06 is such a fouler? Is the bore pitted or what?

If you just have a rough barrel, you might shoot some cast bullets through it. Cast bullets are the best thing that ever happened to rifle barrels. Back not too far they used to "lead lap" barrels to smooth them out. I had an 06 I shot a lot of cast bullets in and the bore got where looking down it was like looking down a piece of chrome pipe. VERY shiney. And the /06 loves cast bullets anyway. It's a win/win proposition.

shewe 02-09-2008 08:12 PM

the cast bullets are worth a try. no, the bore is in good shape, it's just the last inch or two that's glazed the rest of the bore shines like new.

shewe 02-09-2008 08:26 PM

btw....my 44mag revolver does the same thing. it looks like the face of the cylinder on a stainless steel cylinder....that gray glaze that's impossible to get clean.[:@]

skeeter 7MM 02-10-2008 12:33 AM

Like trailer Sweets 7.62of Barnes CR10 works well for me in removing copper fouling. The odd used pick up rifle I have had to break out JB and elbow grease. It isn't the fastest process by any means but does work.JB's is amild abbrasive so you need to maintain smooth/even strokes, be mindful of the throat and crown.

falcon 02-10-2008 07:32 AM

One of myRemington 700s in .30-06 used to be a heavy fouler. Had a lot of troublecleaning that barrel when thegun was new. FinallyI cleanedit every day for aboutfive days with a bronze brush and Hoppes Bench Rest. Finally got all the fouling out. Now I use a brush and Bench Rest andgive the barrel a real good scrubbing after each 100 rounds. No more problem.

eldeguello 02-10-2008 07:59 AM

ORIGINAL: shewe

not sure if this is the proper forum.....but here goes. i have a .3006 that is a heavy fouler. i've tried outers bore solvent, hoppe's elite, andbore tech eliminator. i've done numerous repetitions with each and nothing seems to clean the last couple of inches of the bore. any suggestions would be appreciated. btw have also tried soaking the bore in kano kroil with no luck.:(
Hoppe's is a great perfume, but as a cleaner, it leaves something to be desired. Try Butch's Bore Shine and/or Shooters' Choice. Both have worked for me. Sweet's 7.62 Splvent is supposeedly quite good, but I have not used it. Since it comes from Australia, it is probably good.....

IF you lap your bore really well with J.B. Compound from Brownell's, it may stop fouling near the muzzle...