Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Brass Stuck in Die >

Brass Stuck in Die

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Brass Stuck in Die

Old 02-01-2008, 08:03 PM

Default Brass Stuck in Die

I have Brass stuck in my reloading die. Does anyone know how to take it out?
thanks
~Deric
Old 02-01-2008, 08:35 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Brass Stuck in Die

case removal kit is the best way. Anothe way which is risky is to pull until rim comes off. and drill a screw thru the case and use a lag screws to pull out. Another way is to take out the expander ball if you can, and use a punch to go thru the top of the die to knock it out.

Use some PB blast or liquid wrench.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:52 PM

Run, don't walk, to your nearest gun store and buy the RCBS Stuck Case Removal Tool. No reloader should be without one.

DON'T pull the rim off the case our you may just make things worse. Just get the RCBS tool and follow directions. Works every time. Anything else you try will likely ruin your die set and the RCBS tool is not expensive at all. It's a die saver.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Fork Horn

RCBS stuck case remover.

If they are RCBS dies, you can send them in to RCBS and they will remove it for you.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:42 PM

Here's what I did, mostly because I didn't know about the case remover.

I removed the decapping assembly (I had it stuck in the decapper/resizer) and put the die in the freezer. Because of the different properties, the metals contract at different rates. After maybe an hour in the freezer, I pulled it out and used a long nail and hammer to drive the shell out. It destroys the case, but gets your die back.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

i did this the other day and felt like a RETARD! lol

good luck!
Old 02-01-2008, 11:26 PM

thanks for the help guys,
i think im just gonna go get that RCBS thing.
~Deric
Old 02-02-2008, 02:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

You could try putting the die and stuck shell in the freezer, that has worked for me once.
If it is stuck in a major way you can return it to the company that made it, usually they will remove the case for free and check for scratches, Redding sent one back to me and included a sample size of Imperial sizing wax.... something you should try for lubing cases... the stuff is great and you will not have another stuck case
Old 02-02-2008, 05:03 AM

ORIGINAL: kelbro

RCBS stuck case remover.

If they are RCBS dies, you can send them in to RCBS and they will remove it for you.
True, but it's cheaper and quicker just to buy yourself this vital reloading accessory and be done with it once and for all.

As for saving the stuck case........it's a right off. But far better lose a case than an expensive die.

The stuck case remover can be used over a million times and works on virtually any case.

The number one cause of stuck cases (assuming your dies are good) is simply lack of lubrication. The case lube that is most critical to apply is the last inch of the case above the base. That's where the most and thickest resizing takes place. If you start to size a case and it starts to bind heavily when you reach this point, for Pete's sake STOP and hope it's not too late to back out and apply more lube! Otherwise you're going to spend the next fifteen minutes getting up close and personal with your stuck case remover again.

Remember, you can't over-lube this area of a case like you can the neck.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:42 AM

Yea i dont care about saving the case its already messed up

Quick Reply: Brass Stuck in Die

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.