HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Cleaning with tumbler (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/225648-cleaning-tumbler.html)

nagel_1 01-04-2008 12:19 PM

Cleaning with tumbler

I got a new Lyman tumbler for Christmas this year and I have a couple questions. First, how long does the media last before I need to change it? Second, do you resize and deprime the cases before or after tumbling? I use theLyman corncobmedia that is green.

driftrider 01-04-2008 01:37 PM

RE: Cleaning with tumbler

How long the media lasts depends a lot on how dirty the brass is. I use a 50/50 mixture of fine ground corn cobs and fine ground walnut hulls, both of which I get at Petco because it's FAR cheaper than the media next to the reloading supplies at your local gun store. I use a 50/50 mix because the walnut hulls scrub off the worst fouling and tarnish, while the softer corn cobs polish the brass to a high shine. I also add about 1 oz of Iosso Brass Polish to new media and run the tumbler to mix it for about 1/2 hour before I put any brass in, and then I use a capful each time I polish brass to refresh the media. The media is good until the corn cob media turns grey/black, which takes a long time since I try to keep my brass clean (i.e. dry and off the ground).

As far as sizing/depriming before or after tumbling, that's really a matter of preference, but it is a very good idea to tumble brass before it goes through your sizing die to prevent marring and wear on the brass and die from trapped abrasive debris, as well as to minimise the chances of a stuck case. I prefer to deprime before tumbling as well, and if you do you'd be wise to invest in a universal decapping die (they are cheap). Just make sure that you check each primer pocket and flash hole for media and clear it out before priming as media will find a way to jam itself into those places.

Mike

Simp 01-04-2008 07:31 PM

Excellent advice! I will emphasize one thing that was already pointed out though. Whatever media you get be sure it is finely ground and not the big stuff. The fine ground media will go in and come out of your brass with relative ease. The large media will definitely get into your brass but you'll hang yourself trying to get it out! Don't ask me how I know.[:@]

nagel_1 01-04-2008 09:59 PM

I noticed that the media gets kinda jammed into the primer pocket, and into the flash hole. So next time I clean brass Im going to just clean it before I resize and deprime. Hopefully this will save me from trying to get that out with a big push tack. Otherwise Im very impressed with the tumbler. Seems to clean the brass up very nice.

Pavomesa 01-05-2008 07:21 PM

I don't bother to deprime before tumbling. Instead I have a Lee Primer Pocket cleaner that I use. One twist & the crud is gone. I don't think there's enough room in a primer pocket for any media to work worth a flip anyhow.

SJAdventures 01-05-2008 08:29 PM

I always clean before I run them through my sizer die. Then I resize them and clean again to get all the lubricate off of the cases before I prime and charge them. I have quit using the corncob media just for the the reaosn I have read on here. It sometimes is hard to get out of the cases and primer pockets. I am using only the walnut media now and am much happier with it. I also use Lyman's Turbo Brite in the media to shine the brass. I buy the walnut media at pet smart and it is very inexpensive.

Pavomesa 01-06-2008 03:58 AM

I use the spray on case lube now and there really isn't much of anything left to clean after sizing and loading. My favorite trick after loading some ammo is just to slip an old sock on my hand and sort or feel/rub/inspect each round as I drop it into the cartridge box. Takes about 2 seconds per round and I figure I get them clean and feel for high primers or anything else that might have gone wrong in the works.