Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

what press

Old 12-28-2007, 09:41 AM

Default what press

i am thinking of getting my feet wet into reloding for my .243 already have some equipment so a starter set does not really appeal to me can someone recommend a good starter press
Old 12-28-2007, 10:26 AM

Default RE: what press

Lee classic cast, rock chucker.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:38 AM

RCBS Rock Chucker

Speed is not as important as quality.

A good reloader can do several boxes a weekend.

Every shell will be the same as long as the operator does his job right!

A Multi Stage press will only get a unexperienced person into trouble.
Too many things going on at the same time and more room to make a mistake.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rock Chucker.
PM me if you want to buy a new RCBS 505 scale or new RCBS Uniflow powder measure
Old 12-28-2007, 05:37 PM

what is the main difference between the lee challenger and the rcbs rock chucker
Old 12-28-2007, 06:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

The RCBS Rockchucker is a very rigid,well made press that will last a lifetime.The Lee Challenger is a flimsy casting with linkages that will break in time.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hairtrigger

Rock Chucker.
PM me if you want to buy a new RCBS 505 scale or new RCBS Uniflow powder measure
How much for the uniflow?
Old 12-29-2007, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Definately go with the rockchucker. It will outlast you, and is IMO the best press on the market. I do believe that the Lee is cast aluminum, and it will not last anywhere as long as the RCBS, which you will never wear out. Stubblejumper hit the nail right on the head with his comment!
Old 12-30-2007, 02:13 PM
Fork Horn

I had the Lee Chalanger press ( it is cast Al ) and was happy with it. It never failed me, but my largest case is .30-06. I did upgrade to an RCBS rock chucker because I saw one on Ebay for a good price and I just had to have it.

The rock chucker is cast iron as is the Lee classic cast press both should last several lifetimes ... IMHO the Lee is slightly beter in design as the spent primer catcher is a tube that empties into a jar

If you deside to try ebay search ofr RCBS not rock chucker .... people looking for the rock chucker will bid on them like they are new ( I saw one go for more that a new one ) the one I "found" was just listed as an RCBS press with pictures I recocnized it for what it was and bid on it, but it went unnoticed by the masses

good luck
Old 12-31-2007, 03:42 PM
Spike

You might want to look at a Lyman press. They are available on the second hand market and because they are not RCBS they are often overlooked. The Orange Crusher and the O-Mag single stage presses are work horses (my o-mag is still going strong after almost 30 years).

Quick Reply: what press

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.